to restore or not to restore

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Newfoundlander, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander New Member

This was passed down from my grandmother and my father had it stripped many years ago but neither he nor I got around to re-staining it. Recently vanity 2.png I have reached out in the hopes of finding someone to clean and refinish it, but my question is, should I? It's a little more than I can afford but it is a lovely piece. Would a proper cleaning be sufficient to leave the wood bare?

OK, more than one question.

kyratango likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the wood is lovely.....
    polish, wax or oil........after a light cleaning.......and enjoy it as it is...imo

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It needs some sort of protection. Clean and apply an oil or wax finish. The original was probably a dark mahogany stain.

Pat Dennis likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Are the drawers gone ? Its a mass produced run of the mill item from the 30s. If not sentimental,I wouldnt do much.

Pat Dennis likes this.
  5. Newfoundlander

Thank you, I just need to know how to clean without hurting it. But I like the wood as well.

6. Newfoundlander

Yes, but can I do it myself since my budget won't allow for a professional?

7. Newfoundlander

Also, yes the original was a dark color. The bench was not stripped so that gives me an idea of the original 6-the bench.jpg color. See attached...

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

do not go back to dark brown......it'll be 2076 before that color makes a comeback !!

kyratango likes this.
  9. Newfoundlander

Thank you. The the drawers are there, on either side, and the doors for the bottem, while not pictured, serve as the base for the two cubbyholes underneath each drawer.
    The sentimental value is that it was my grandmothers. I've never found another one like it while looking at vanities online. Would be nice to see another.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  10. Newfoundlander

heehee. good point.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The hard work is done. The finishing part is easy. Get a can of stain and go for it. Seal with varnish or polyurethane afterwards. If you like the light color, skip the staining step.

Born2it and kyratango like this.
  12. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I second that emotion. If you like the light color, sealing is relatively easy. I think it’s lovely, and I totally understand enjoying a link with the family past. If you are going to keep it, though, you need to protect the wood.

It really isn’t that hard to do. There are a million YouTube videos. The main thing is to make sure it’s absolutely clean before you start, and plan on doing several coats.

Draft saved Draft deleted