Featured Tiny blue glass bottle with art glass cane top

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 16, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this without examining it carefully, because of the rich and varied blue hue of the bottle. Later, I noticed the paperweight-like canes in the glass top. Then I saw the tiny pearls along the bottle shoulder. I was in love. This is quite small at 1.5 inches tall and 1.5 in diameter at its widest point. The metal work looks Asian to me, but the art glass canes don't seem right. Putting the tiny pearls on the rim took a lot of time, so this doesn't seem mass produced.

I await your verdict.
    thumbnail_IMG_6832.jpg IMG_6834.JPG IMG_6839.JPG IMG_6838.JPG IMG_6840.JPG IMG_6837.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think this is from India.Though Ive never seen one with the top like that.

3. KikoBlueEyes

That was my thought or somewhere in that area, but the top seems odd. I can't find anything like it.

johnnycb09, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Chinese copy a lot of Italian glass particularly cane work. My first thought was a marriage but the metal matches up as does the beaded decor on the foot.

KikoBlueEyes, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. The colors are so spectacular in person. I am surprised though at the source. But then again, the Chinese have a greater capacity to this type of cane work than India, I suppose.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen these. The tops are millefiori and yes, they're made in India. Possibly using Chinese canes, but millefiori is produced all over.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I just hadn't seen this used in Indian pieces before. Your knowledge and experience is like a mountain against my ant hill. I am happy to learn something new. It's already in a case.

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is very sweet, Kiko, and I always love that blue.:happy:
    Exactly. The Chinese have been making millefiori for centuries, and the Indians are no strangers to it either. As far as I know, the Phoenicians also made it.
    And the East Javanese have been making millefiori beads since at least the 6th century, long before Murano. East Java exported it to other parts of Asia and to the Pacific.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    BoudiccaJones and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

My knowledge base is sooo limited. I look at images for hours and read here religiously (when I'm not traveling) to try to expand it. I appreciate your insights.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted