Tinned Copper Tray (Long time no post)

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by aaroncab, Feb 13, 2023.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Greetings good antiquers.com folks!

Was wondering if anyone could help with the origin/age of this tinned copper tray. Is the writing Farsi (Persian)? Is the depicted scene a historical or mythical one? I don't frequent the second hand shops much anymore since covid, but found myself in one on Saturday and spotted this. The detailed work impressed me enough to bring it home.

It is about 18 inches (46 cm) in diameter.

20230213_121234-02.jpeg 20230213_121310-02.jpeg 20230213_121332-01.jpeg 20230213_121409-01.jpeg 20230213_121546-01.jpeg 20230213_121612-01.jpeg 20230213_121640-01.jpeg 20230213_122017-01.jpeg 20230213_122057-01.jpeg

silverbell, Boland, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice.........interesting image !!!:happy:

Stab, stab stab.....!!!!:hilarious:

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sheherezade? Indo-Persian plate and I'd guess 20th century. Beyond that dunno.

silverbell likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Persian/Iranian, and I think it is Qajar dynasty.
    Very likely.
    Probably neither, I think a scene from Persian literature.

aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Something along those lines.
    'Proper' Persian, from Iran.

6. evelyb30

...but not if you're putting it on eBay.(LOL) Proper Persian is on the Forbidden list.

7. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

What is "proper Persian? And why is it a no-no??

And while I'm thinking of it, why is it no longer correct to say "oriental?" "Asian" just doesn't have the exotic clout. Besides, I have to be "occidental," which sounds as if I have Muhammed Ali taking an interest in my teeth!

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cuz everyone wanna be woke and not offend anyone else !

9. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

I looked up "woke."

That's ridiculous.

The English language is being tortured and twisted until all the color is gone, and we will be having beige-bland categories for everything!

(I think this may belong on the "rant" thread. Sry!)

Judy1 and komokwa like this.
  10. evelyb30

Iran... think 1979 hostage chrisis and apparently permanent severing of diplomatic ties. Scumbag Ayatolahs factor in too; their treatment of anyone who doesn't fall into lockstep is decidedly Not Good. Why old Persian art would be banned, or pre-Revolutionary Cuba I haven't a clue. Wokeness before wokeness existed methinks, and it was grandfathered in. File under: you can't sell old Aunt Jemima syrup bottles. (never mind that she was a real woman who really cooked.)

Occidental to me sounds like the old oil company.

silverbell and komokwa like this.
  11. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

AJ, thanks much, once again for chiming in on this. I would have guessed it was Persian if I had to guess, but I'm much better off having more knowledgeable people have a look. So Persian - Qajar period - and perhaps depicting a scene from Persian literature of the time.

@evelyb30 - thanks for chiming in as well. Sheherezade is probably not a bad guess. At least something for me to search on to scene if I can find a description of a similar scene vignette.

Cheers to the both of you!

@komokwa - careful where you point that thing!

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Real Persian/Iranian, from Iran itself.
    Iran is the 'home culture' of several cultures and styles in Asia, including large parts Central Asian culture, Indo-Persian and Afghan, and some Turkish styles. Persia also influenced art as far away as China and the Netherlands.

Persian religion was at the root of the concept of good versus evil, which spread to other Middle Eastern religions. And something some Western cultures love to focus on. People who say Iran is evil, are using an Iranian concept.:D

Dismissing Persian culture is dismissing one of the sources of our own culture as well as many other cultures.
    Besides, a ban on selling Iranian antiques and antiquities, most of which left Iran long before the current regime, will not hurt the ayatollahs one bit.
    It isn't?:confused: Why are there still Oriental Art Fairs etc?
    I agree, yet the West is only too happy to trade with other scumbags who are just as bad, or possibly worse.

(rant over ;))

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  13. evelyb30

Lots of those. eBay also forbids anything from North Korea, but I'd bet things from Sudan are just fine and probably Yemen.

I have a fair number of Persian bits here, none of which I could have sold on Eboo.