Tile with iron base table/plant stand

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

8 inches across top of tile, table is 16 inches high.
    Guessing this is a 1950's plant stand or table. Is that date about right?
    Edges of tile have wear, rust underneath so was going to consign at local consignment store, thinking it was not an Ebay item. ...Or??

distile2.jpg distile2b.jpg distile3.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

20 or 30 years later, in my opinion, for the wrought iron look (may be steel, not wrought iron) stand.

3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

In the 70's I used to visit Juaraz MX when in ElPaso Tx, they sold lots of wrought iron items like yours. I was on a kick and my house was decorated in it, from a plant table similiar to yours,to candleholders to a chandelier.

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

5. Lucille.b

Thanks, AF and Shiloh. I appreciate you taking a look.

No question, the metal on this is is definitely wrought iron.

And the base appears to be welded.

The thing that had me kind of scratching my head on this, was the tile itself. It is sort of ...not sure how to put it. A bit homemade looking? Definitely hand painted, and not mass produced feeling. It also feels sort of "thinner" in a way, like the painting is closer to surface or something. Something strikes me that it is a bit different from tiles I'm used to.

Also this is a table/stand has just a single 8" tile for a top which is a bit odd. Out of several hundred listings on Ebay, all had multiple tile tops, I did find one somewhat similar, single tile, similar stand, but was being listed as "Catalina".

The consignment store will take it, but wanted to run it by the list, so appreciate the responses. Thanks!

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Arc welding of wrought iron is very tricky. It is more probably steel. Most 'wrought iron' work nowadays, apart from a few purist craftsmen, is done with steel strip.

7. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

We sold one of those Catalina tables on eBay awhile back...would think this would sell well, I like it!

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am wondering if your tile is a replacement. This looks a lot like the earlier tile top tables that are sought after but your tile looks significantly newer than I would expect.

9. Lucille.b

Maybe that is what is going on. Unfortunately I cannot see the reverse of the tile because it is glued into place and the back is covered by the design of the table that encases the tile.

The whole thing was obviously kept outside, it has issues from that. Well, maybe try it on Ebay with all of these disclaimers, if no sale, then a consignment piece.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Off to start a new thread about a tiny table stamped, "DENMARK".

Draft saved Draft deleted