Tile marked MURCIA Old ?????

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Jan 29, 2015.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

HI, I am still sorting through my hoard and came across this tile. It measures 5 3/4" x 5 3/4"...the first pic is the true color. Any help on age,etc. will be appreciated :) DSCN2406.JPG

DSCN2407.JPG DSCN2412.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Made by Ceramica Montalvan in Triana, which is a district of Seville. (It's actually the barrio which is traditionally gypsy. Full of proper flamenco bars. Fascinating, too. ) The factory closed in 2012: http://www.diariodesevilla.es/artic...ndustria/ceramista/agoniza/barrio/triana.html .

If you can read Spanish, you'll see the factory started in 1850.

The image is indeed of the arms of Murcia. It's now an autonomia, but historically was one of the ancient provinces of Spain. I don't think the tile is all that old, from the backing - these were and are made as tourist or souvenir items, sometimes for locals. 1940s or 50s at a guess.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen similar ones from the Netherlands, old-ish now but made to look a lot older than they really are. People like them, but they probably don't sell for a lot.

5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Thanks Bear.I believe its the late 50's early 60's then as that is about when I remember it, I did think much older :p I don't plan on selling it then, just sorting and clearing out my hoard and if I can't find any info. then I come to this great place :). Now if I come across something worth money then I will SELL SELL SELL :D

Draft saved Draft deleted