Featured THRIFT STORE FINDS! PICASSO + WARHOL & MARILYN - FRAMED IN 1980's MAKE THESE ORIGINALS & NOT COPIES?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 6, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these today at my local thrift store. I loved the Warhol & would have bought it no matter, but when I looked on back of both(maybe donated from same household?), they each have a framing or construction date from the 1980's (the Picasso's framing company's phone number had no area code - I thought it was from the '60s until I saw a 1988 stamped date right below it!)

Since these are at least from the '80's and not newer copies/reproductions are they more valuable? It is a selling point to put in listing, right?

Thanks guys for any help.

art warhol marilyn museum exposition poster 1aa RESIZED.jpg art warhol marilyn museum exposition poster 1baa RESIZED.jpg art warhol marilyn museum exposition poster 3aa.jpg art warhol marilyn museum exposition poster 4aa.jpg art MUSEO DEL PRADO PICASSO POSTER 1AA .jpg art MUSEO DEL PRADO PICASSO POSTER 3AA .jpg art MUSEO DEL PRADO PICASSO POSTER 4AA.jpg

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Neither of these are original works of art - just posters for the museum exhibitions.

reader, Figtree3, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They both appear to be museum exhibit posters which would mean there weren't later versions. (You'd have to confirm with some internet research.) And they both look badly faded. (That could be confirm too with an internet search.)

Here's the Buen Retiro one. 1982. You'll want to compare colors.

http://www.elmarcoverde.com/shop/pablo-picasso-cason-del-buen-retiro/

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

2manybooks nailed it. Just posters for the exhibition. Not a lot of value. I see this type of stuff at thrift shops a lot but pass them up cause I can barely sell the ones that I have.

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

As he's dealt with some valuable posters before, I'm pretty sure @journeymagazine was asking about "original posters" -- as opposed to reprints.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Since they are at least 30 years old there will be younger people who would be more impressed by the age than some of us are. From that perspective, somebody may be interested and you should definitely mention the age in the listing.

I don't know the original colors of these so this may not be the case, but... they look discolored or faded to me, especially the Warhol one. That would be one down side, if true.

Jivvy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted