Thrift Store Finds/ID Help!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Na155608, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Na155608

Na155608 New Member

Hello all,

I posted on here a while ago about some Satsuma and Noritake pottery I found at a local thrift store. You all were extremely helpful in identifying the pieces and I was hoping I could get some help with some new finds!

The twin vases with the peacocks appear to be Satsuma in the paint design as well as the crackled glaze, but the stamp on the bottom doesn't appear to be a typical Satsuma stamp (although I am inexperienced and I may have it upside down since I can't read Japanese). Also, on the top band of the vases, it appears to be wrapped and not hand painted since there is an obvious separation line instead of the paint being consistent all the way around.

The other vase I have never seen before. It comes in a pair as well and they are seemingly hand-painted with no other identifying marks. They are unique in that they have a strange copper cylinder about 3-4 inches long and 1 inch wide that fits inside. The material of the vase also feels like it could be some type of plastic (or bone?) instead of the usual clay.

Any details are much appreciated and thank you all again!

20230302_133539_11zon.jpg 20230302_133552_11zon.jpg 20230302_133707_11zon.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

are they yours..........like to see the base of the black one..

3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

The first two are fairly new with a motif like that (and that stamp). This looks exactly like your mark, though I didn't compare them side by side. Not much info on the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195175859373?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Second vases are pretty easy to find similar through a google image search. I like the second vases more, but I think they're probably not that old either.

Na155608, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Na155608

Na155608 New Member

They aren't mine, I was really trying to determine if they would even be worth buying but it seems like they would not.

Also, the black vase has nothing on the bottom. The only unique thing about it was the copper cylinder inside which I forgot to get a picture of.

5. Na155608

Na155608 New Member

Thank you so much for the info! I looked all over and couldn't find that same stamp for the Satsuma vases, but it looks like it's nothing special.

Very much appreciated!

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The black one is the more interesting of the two.

Draft saved Draft deleted