Thrift store find today - bronze/metal Buddha head that's been cut off of something?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 19, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today while treasure hunting at my regular thrift store - I was lucky because it was sitting on a lower shelf & no one had seen it yet!
    Any ideas on it? It looks like it was cut off of something at the neck (look at 2nd to last photo) - and the top conical part looks like it was welded on to the head (6th photo below the criss cross band).
    Is this a Buddha/god? I wasn't sure because of the pointed pieces all around it.
    Is the top part a hat or it's hair done up?
    Is it bronze?
    Any idea how old it is?
    ANY information or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated; I'm thinking/hoping I found something special (or since it was cut off at the neck, 'part' of something special)?
    Thank you!

ART STATUE BUDDHA HEAD METAL 1AA.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA HEAD METAL 2AA.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA HEAD METAL 3AA.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA HEAD METAL 4AA.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA HEAD METAL 5AA.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA HEAD METAL 6AA.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA HEAD METAL 8AB.jpg ART STATUE BUDDHA HEAD METAL 9AA.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is from Java, and made like that, just the head. It is a copy of the head of an Medieval statue. These sell.

2manybooks, Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These sell.... Good? Badly? Finish the sentence, Any Jewelry ! lol
    The cut across neck is sharp & doesn't appear 'finished' -maybe it had a wood (or otherwise) base before?
    Dies it have a name or title I'd use in describing it?
    Thank you Any Jewelry!

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Javanese deity, Hindu-Javanese deity, Hindu deity from Java Indonesia.

The different Hindu deities are recognized by their attributes or postures. This head has neither.;)

Potteryplease, techbiker and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted