THRIFT STORE FIND SIGNED GUITAR - SELENA GOMEZ SIGNATURE?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 9, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store today & bought it after the manager agreed to sell it to me for $40; so even if it's not a big known name I can at least break even.
    Even at that price I wouldn't have bought it - it's mostly a kid's/beginner's guitar - but my first thought on seeing it was that it was signed by Selena Gomez (who I thought was the famous mexican singer tragically murdered, but was told she was known simply as Selena by the laughing sales clerk - who then told me it might be Selena Gomez) & so I took a chance.
    Does anyone recognize the autograph?
    Thank you; I appreciate any help.

MUSIC GUITAR FIRST ACT SELENA GOMEZ 1AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR FIRST ACT SELENA GOMEZ 2AA.JPG

Houseful and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Beats me. Welcome, BTW.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

5. all_fakes

6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Do you think it's her?

7. all_fakes

I don't have any opinion on authenticity; the signatures at SBSVC's link are widely variable, and I'm no handwriting expert.
    I am mindful that there has been a lot of fraud in the area of signed memorabilia, including guitars.
    In a fairly recent case, a company offering "signed" guitars with COAs was caught in deception. They had gone so far as to provide photos of the guitar in question actually being signed by the celebrity - which was great until the original photo surfaced, and the item being signed was not a guitar.
    The guitar is probably worth at least what you paid; but verifying the signature could be tricky.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

There are exceptions but generally an autographed guitar is worth what it would be unsigned plus what the autograph would be worth on a piece of paper.
    Most autographed guitars are $50-150 models to start with(yours is on the low side of that). These are purchased new or donated and then signed for auctions and raffles at fund raising type of events...for schools/non-profits, etc.
    Where they can become valuable is when the signature is rare and valuable and/or the guitar is valuable or has a connection to the artist in some meaningful way.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. evelyb30

If someone got hold of Clapton's Blackie or Willie Nelson's, the sky would be the limit. Willie's is a hole-y disaster, and would probably give you a contact high, but ... eep. Les Paul's original solid body is in the Smithsonian, but that would be crazy money too.

Shwikman likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

how about one played by Prince....?

Shwikman likes this.
  12. Shwikman

His main guitar was a relatively cheap Fender knock-off. I have no clue what his actual guitar would sell for but the same models go for pretty crazy money just because of what he was able to do with it.

komokwa likes this.
  13. evelyb30

The Ramones used Mosrite guitars - aka more or less junk. They became part of the sound and never upgraded even when they could afford to. Get one of those signed and it could be really good money too.

14. all_fakes

Generally true; but there are also quite a number of businesses who purchase inexpensive guitars and have them signed en masse by various people for resale, purely as a profit enterprise; such as the ones sold on amazon, or any number of websites. Many may be honest, but there are also some that are total scams. And even if honest, as mentioned by Shwikman, a $50 guitar with a signature that would be worth $2 alone, is likely now worth $52.
    I'd say this is far more common than having celebrities sign guitars for charity.
    (I did happen to see two mandolins offered by Mandolin Brothers; 1920's Lloyd Loar Gibsons. One had Bill Monroe's signature, with provenance; the second was identical but no signature. Prices: $225,000 for the unsigned one, $250,000 for the signed one; so the sellers estimate was that the signature added $25,000 to the value. I've jammed with Bill Monroe - we played "Blue Moon of Kentucky," in 1993, Wintergrass Music Festival. A lot of people there had him sign their mandolins, but I didn't....perhaps I should have.)

15. Shwikman

@all_fakes
    Very cool! What instrument(s) do you play/were you playing?

16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

17. all_fakes

I was playing mandolin; I was certainly not the only one. Though he was quite feeble at that time, he became quite lively on stage or when jamming; and he spent a lot of time in the lobby at the festival, jamming with whoever wanted to. We were in a circle of about 12 people, and he'd look at each of us, raise his eyebrows at each in turn, as if to say "Feel up to taking a break?"
    So I got to play a lead break, with Bill Monroe. I'll never forget it.
    (I play mostly mandolin, violin, octave mandolin (aka "Irish bouzouki"), Irish banjo (4-strings, tuned like an octave mando), and guitar, sometimes. I've been in folk, rock, swing, country, celtic, maritime bands....I'm by no means the only musician/singer here.)

18. Shwikman

Right on!
    That’s a great story! Im a bassist myself, no multi-instrumental stuff for me.

antidiem and all_fakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted