Thrift store find - Navajo rug?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Jan 17, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my regular thrift store yesterday & bought it even though it is stained/needs a cleaning (it's pink where a lap or something else was & brown everywhere else!), because I thought it might be Navajo or Native American because of the designs along it's edge.
    Can anyone tell me what I found?
    Thank you for any information!

RUG NAVAJO 1AA.jpg RUG NAVAJO 2AAA.jpg
    RUG NAVAJO 6AA.jpg RUG NAVAJO 6BAA.jpg RUG NAVAJO 6DAA.jpg RUG NAVAJO 4AA.jpg RUG NAVAJO 4BAA.jpg RUG NAVAJO 7AA.jpg

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Here is the main point one needs to know about identifying a Native American rug:

The Navajo are the only Native American tribe that weaves similar rugs on looms, and their weavings are identified not by the design, but by the way they are woven. They will never be woven with fringe across both ends.

Unlike the rest if the world, the Navajo use a unique type of loom and weaving technique (an upright loom with a continuous warp) which results in a rug with yarn loops in each corner. So when you find a textile, with fringe on both ends, (which is a continuation of the warp threads), it can not be Navajo or Native American.

Because of the unique Navajo loom and weaving technique, it means that the size of the finished weaving is predetermined, and each weaving is individually warped on the loom. Only one weaving can be done at a time, and it will end up with four selvage edges, and loops of yarn (which may be cut) in each corner instead of fringes on both ends.

It is physically impossible to weave a rug with fringe on both ends on a Navajo loom.

There are further details to check if a rug is actually Navajo, or a "fake" Navajo, but the "no fringe rule" is the first, and easiest, way to eliminate most of the rugs that aren't Navajo-made. Most that are mistaken for Navajo are either Mexican, or Central or South American, since they are the ones with designs that look like they could be Navajo.

Here is a good web site that explains how to tell, and includes drawings showing how Navajo rugs are constructed: https://www.navajorugrepair.com/fake.htm

I can't tell you exactly where it is from, only that it wasn't the United States. I'll leave that to someone who specializes in this type of textile.

Boland, reader, Any Jewelry and 9 others like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thank you for the great information!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It could be an Indian (India) dhurrie with some Turkish kelim inspiration.

reader and 2manybooks like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I also think it’s a dhurrie from India.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

Draft saved Draft deleted