Featured Thrift store find - Murano vase w/waffle base?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, May 11, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this large (16.5" x 11") vase yesterday at my regular thrift store - it has the Murano sticker (that says according to Google translate: Glass made according to the technique of the Murano masters), but I've never seen a Murano with a waffle like base?
    Did someone put a Murano sticker on a copy vase?
    If it is real, what type of vase is this style called? I tried 'ribbon vase' but no results?
    Thank you for any help!

GLASS VASE MURANO RIBBON 1A_AA.JPG GLASS VASE MURANO RIBBON 1AA.JPG GLASS VASE MURANO RIBBON 1AAA.JPG GLASS VASE MURANO RIBBON 2AA.JPG GLASS VASE MURANO RIBBON 3AA.JPG GLASS VASE MURANO RIBBON 4AA.JPG GLASS VASE MURANO RIBBON 5AA.JPG GLASS VASE MURANO RIBBON 6AA.JPG

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

You could try searching for "large handkerchief vase". I think this vase is Italian but produced somewhere other than Murano in the Murano style.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Murano-style according to the sticker which translates as: "Glass made according to the technique of the masters of Murano."

Debora

kyratango and charlie cheswick like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The waffle base is caused by the vase being left to cool on an asbestos lattice mat.

There's a deal of discussion about these "Lavorazione" label vases and variants thereof. Some are made in Empoli, some in China.This will be Empoli.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yeppers. Italian, but not Murano.

aaroncab and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted