Featured Thrift store find - 1950's metal frame Pepsi wall clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 1, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this yesterday at a thrift store. I've been able to find 1 other example (in iCollector) that said it is a 1950's Pepsi wall clock/sign, but I haven't been able to find another - being that it looks like it was a commercial clock for a business & supplied by Pepsi, shouldn't there be more around?
    I was able to buy this for only $20(!) because it's missing the actual clock! And the manager (& me) figured the electric plug was for the missing clock mechanism, and what I was buying was a empty shell - so imagine my surprise when I got it home, plugged it in - and it lit up!
    So since the electric plug makes the piece light up, was the clock mechanism something simple like a battery operated clock?
    Any idea what the actual mechanism was and where I can get a one to complete the piece back to original? Or can I just go to Michael's and buy a battery operated clock mechanism & hands?
    Any idea where this was used? (my 1st thought was a restaurant, but I think we had something like it in the concession stand of my dad's movie theater when I was a kid!)
    Thank you for any help!

SIGN PEPSI CLOCK 1AA.JPG SIGN PEPSI CLOCK 2AA.JPG SIGN PEPSI CLOCK 3AA.JPG SIGN PEPSI CLOCK 6AA.JPG

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is it illuminated when plugged in? Then it's a light box & clock. Does look late 1950s/early 1960s. It would have been used somewhere Pepsi was sold, either "on premise" (where Pepsi would have been both sold and consumed) or "off premise" (where it was sold but consumed elsewhere.) Not sure there's anyway of telling which but... Would have been a big Pepsi account as this type of display was expensive then (and expensive now.)

Debora

pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and Aquitaine like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Can't imagine they would have been very popular at the time if they tied up a duplex electrical outlet.

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

I saw the first link.
    On mine I didnt see hole for 2nd outlet but I'll go over it again
    thanks

6. journeymagazine

Last pic is illuminated

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah. So vintage Pepsi light box and clock merchandising display.

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The hole in your third picture. You can see that same hole in the second link has a cable running out of it.

Lucille.b likes this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

What town y'all livin' in Journey Mag- believe i might have to hook up the old Airstream and camp in yr hamlet for a time. Maybe put an ad in the free ad/nickel shopper-'Antiques/Collectibles Wanted-Willing to Pay Up to $20 for Choice Items-CASH PAID !'.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

That's the top of it. Someone tied a heavy wire to it to hang it from

Draft saved Draft deleted