Thrift Manager invited me to sis's art sale; need help w/a few!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 21, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

My friend is the manager of a thrift store that I go to every day. Friday he told me his sister had 75-100 paintings she wanted to sell so she could use her garage again & did I want to buy them all for $2,500?
    I told him I had probably 300 now & my girlfriend would change the locks on the door if I came home with another 100 paintings! So the sneaky guy asked me if I wanted to meet him at his sister's house & see if there were any I liked/wanted? (he knows I'm addicted to art!)
    Of course I agreed & ended up buying 13 pieces for $350; including a Miro french exhibition poster, a Dali print, a Henry W. Rice watercolor & a Erwin Wending painting - plus these below that I need a little help with.

The first is a mother & child print; I believe it is #179 of 180 - but the number 1 almost looks like a number 7? Isn't that an old style?
    Can anyone tell me who the artist is (I can't make it out)?

The 2nd piece is beautiful. It looks like a slave being sold to a harem - because it's a beautiful nude woman who is on the block as 1 man looks her over & the other appears to be talking about her - while other women sitting behind her watch (maybe they are next?)
    I believe it is middle eastern by the robes the men are wearing?
    Can anyone make out the signature or know who the artist is (this can't be his first painting)?

ART PRINT MARK SISTER MOTHER & BABY 1AA.JPG ART PRINT MARK SISTER MOTHER & BABY 3AA.JPG ART PRINT MARK SISTER MOTHER & BABY 2AA.JPG
    ART PAINTING SLAVE GIRL MARK SISTER PAINTING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING SLAVE GIRL MARK SISTER PAINTING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING SLAVE GIRL MARK SISTER PAINTING 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING SLAVE GIRL MARK SISTER PAINTING 3AAA.JPG ART PAINTING SLAVE GIRL MARK SISTER PAINTING 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING SLAVE GIRL MARK SISTER PAINTING 5AA.JPG ART PAINTING SLAVE GIRL MARK SISTER PAINTING 6AA.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bit of a Picasso influence with the Mother & Child. The other is a copy of something. Yeah. 'A Slave Merchant' by Victor Giraud.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

Thank you moreotherstuff & Debra - pretty nicely done painting for a copy! Does it have any value even if a copy when it's a nicely done painting? (Or - can I list on eBay if it's a copy?)

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course you can list it on eBay as a copy. You just have to disclose it as such. The accepted title in English does appear to be 'The Slave Market' and the full name of the artist is Victor Giraud. c. 1867. You'll need to describe yours as "after Victor Giraud." Here's the original. In the collection of the Museé d'Orsay. Was owned by Napoleon III, the dirty dog.

Debora

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  6. journeymagazine

lol thanks - I like the dogs in bottom right corner above signature (speaking of dirty dogs!) - Do you know who the artist of this one is? The signature looks almost arabic!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Can't read the signature but it's in an older hand.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

You are good Debora!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The difference on quality between the original and the copy is quite striking.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  11. journeymagazine

Sorry you think so - I like it

kyratango and BoudiccaJones like this.
  12. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

"Copy" is a stretch here unfortunately.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is meant to be a take on Ancient Egypt, with those hairstyles. The clothing of the trader looks more like the ones on those old religious paintings of Biblical Palestine.

kyratango likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Some ancient Greek influence in the buildings. Perhaps meant to be a fantasy.

Debora

Peintures%2FMI%20761.jpeg

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ancient Palestine had a strong Hellenistic and later Roman influence, especially in architecture (the elite). For a time the main language was Koine Greek.
    It also had strong trade and cultural ties with neighbouring Egypt.

kyratango likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

Any idea of artist's name? The numbers on the edition size (it looks like 173 of ? first number looks like a K??) - I can't remember where it's from but the 1's look like 7's? (I bet you will know Debora!)

17. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Either French or Italian and it looks like 179/180 and looks like there are major condition issues unless the glass is filthy.

techbiker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted