Featured Thrift finds today - hand signed(?) Erte & old African(?) door?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 16, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These are 2 of the pieces I found today at a local thrift store (along with a signed Lalique vase (but bottom edge is chipped)!

Is the Erte hand signed? It doesn't look like a plate signature?
    Does anyone know the name of it?
    It appears to have some age because of the outer material coming off the frame & what it's made of?

The 2nd piece the thrift store manager said the donator told him they thought it was a old wood door from a African tribe?
    Is that what it is? If not can anybody tell me what it is? I think it's primitive - because of the way someone used rawhide or leather to sew the split in the wood together?
    It should have decorative value at the least, right? (I think it'd look cool hanging on a wall!) - could it be a shield?

Thank you!

ART PRINT ERTE HAND SIGNED 1AA.JPG ART PRINT ERTE HAND SIGNED 2AA.JPG ART PRINT ERTE HAND SIGNED 3AA.JPG ART PRINT ERTE HAND SIGNED 4AA.JPG ART PRINT ERTE HAND SIGNED 6AA.JPG FURNITURE AFRICAN DOOR 1AA.JPG FURNITURE AFRICAN DOOR 3AA.JPG FURNITURE AFRICAN DOOR 5AA.JPG FURNITURE AFRICAN DOOR 6AA.JPG FURNITURE AFRICAN DOOR 6AAA.JPG

2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The Erte is entitled Marriage Dance and there seem to be lots of reproductions.

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

4. journeymagazine

Thank you, you guys are amazing!

Potteryplease, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those Erte prints were a huge thing in the late eighties into the nineties.

6. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

If you have a FB account, this is a very active group that has a wealth of information on African items old and new. Been very helpful for me.

C30FB6C1-0D5B-47F9-850B-D39B8D2E8BCA.jpeg

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Nate is finding Tiffany and you’re finding Lalique? I think Restoration Hardware is as close to a luxury brand as I’ve found at thrift.

Potteryplease likes this.
  8. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Always slim pickings for me at thrift stores sadly. Not sure if the Habitat for Humanity Restore is considered a thrift store, however some of their prices were the same as new the last time I visited!

Example at the Restore: "Busted up Table Saw"- $300. Home Depot equivalent- $350.

Unless an item is very obscure or niche, the internet makes it nearly impossible to snag a great deal where I live.

J Dagger likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Yes but the Lalique has a chipped base
    Yesterday & today are not the normal - but today I found a Tomasz Rus hand enhanced limited edition (#44 /295) giclee titled 'Domitus - Taming Horses' with a coa on the back + what appears pretty rare (I could only find 1 & they are asking $2,450!!) - it's a 1984 Guggenheim museum exhibition poster for Frantisek Kupka's Planes of Color! (look at last photo - just above frame you can see it's from 1984; the same one that is selling for $2,450!)

GLASS LALIQUE VASE 1AA.JPG GLASS LALIQUE VASE 2AA.JPG GLASS LALIQUE VASE 3AA.JPG GLASS LALIQUE VASE 9AA.JPG GLASS LALIQUE VASE 8AA.JPG GLASS LALIQUE VASE 8AAA.JPG ART PRINT TOMSZ RUT  44 OF 295 1AA.JPG ART PRINT TOMSZ RUT  44 OF 295 9AAA.JPG ART POSTER GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM EXHIBITION POSTER KUPKA 1AA.JPG ART POSTER GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM EXHIBITION POSTER KUPKA 3AAA.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Mark London

FYI a giclee is a fancy term for inkjet printed reproduction. Hand embellished just means a smush or two of paint and not necessarily by the hand of the artist.

J Dagger likes this.
  11. techbiker

Giclees are usually worth little IMO. I'd only buy one for personal enjoyment, not resale.

12. journeymagazine

I just want to sell it! Same one was on eBay for $599 but it said auction/listing ended because it was no longer available; so seller sold it somewhere else probably local.
    And I sold a Roy Fairchild Woodard limited edition print (girl with lilies) for $550 on eBay last week ' so people do buy them.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

[

Example at the Restore: "Busted up Table Saw"- $300. Home Depot equivalent- $350.

Unless an item is very obscure or niche, the internet makes it nearly impossible to snag a great deal where I live.[/QUOTE]
    Yeh the only chance is getting something not easily ID’d by mark, barcode,
    Finding framed artwork worth $ I do get. Especially in your area and with store contacts. Finding Tiffany and/or Lalique on the shelf is just crazy. That’s assuming you found it on the shelf and not via an employee hookup. I get that it’s not normal but it happening at all is pretty crazy! Chipped base or no! Nice scores.

14. techbiker

I've pulled listings from Ebay because the item wound up in the landfill.
    Yeh the only chance is getting something not easily ID’d by mark, barcode,

Finding framed artwork worth $ I do get. Especially in your area and with store contacts. Finding Tiffany and/or Lalique on the shelf is just crazy. That’s assuming you found it on the shelf and not via an employee hookup. I get that it’s not normal but it happening at all is pretty crazy! Chipped base or no! Nice scores.[/QUOTE]

----

Yeah because it looks like the vase is a fake. According to the other thread, the signature looks wrong.

15. Mark London

A good rule of thumb is to acquire knowledge before purchasing things rather than afterwards.

techbiker and 2manybooks like this.
  16. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

techbiker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted