Featured Thrift Find: ticket stubs! '37 & '38 World Series, '41 Joe Louis Fight, '59 Colts World Championship

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 9, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found 2 framed under glass old ticket stubs collection + a 1937 World Series game 4 ticket stub inside a framed Yankees photograph.

I took the world series stub out of the frame to make sure it was real & not a decorative piece - and it was! (1 sold on eBay for $501 - it was in a PSA case but had not been graded, just that it was authentic)
    I'm also thinking the others are real because:
    They have old tape on them
    Some of them have writing on them saying who played/won, etc
    There are different sports in the cases/under glass + also matchbook covers & even a movie/play ticket.

There are some very cool ones in there - the 2 World Series, a 1941 Joe Louis vs Conn Championship fight (written on ticket is: Louis by TKO 13th round), an old Preakness ticket, a couple of old Army vs Navy, etc

If these are real what should I do? Sell them as is? Separate them by sport & sell? I was thinking either sending them to PSA or maybe to Hakes auctions - they specialize in sports/ collectibles, etc..?

Hope you like these - I was amazed when the first turned out to be real!

SPORT TICKET STUB 1938 WORLD SERIES YANKEES 1AA.jpg SPORT TICKET STUB 1938 WORLD SERIES YANKEES 2BAA.jpg SPORT TICKET STUB 1938 WORLD SERIES YANKEES 4AA.jpg SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED A  1AA RESIZED.jpg SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED A  3AA.JPG SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED A  4AA.JPG SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED A  6BAA.JPG SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED A  5AA RESIZED.jpg

SECOND GROUP BELOW

SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED B  1AAXZZZ.jpg

2. journeymagazine

Pre Super Bowl Championship Game ticket!

SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED B  5AA.JPG
    SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED B  3AAAA.JPG

AND A CLUB TO MEET A SENATOR?!

SPORT TICKET STUBS FRAMED B  3AAAZZ.jpg

NewEngland, sabre123, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

judy likes this.
  4. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Present!
    journey, you have some interesting stubs there, and given the eclectic array and the other diagnostic bits you enumerated, we'd say there's a very good probability they're all genuine pieces and not fakes and fabrications.
    Tickets are a just a little out of our strike zone, so you'd definitely want a few more expert opinions, which you can get here
    https://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    after registering and posting at that forum. They'll also be able to guide you to the best way to deal those tix and what kind of prices you could expect for them.
    We can tell you that PSA grading is expensive and it takes forever to get your submissions graded there and returned to you, and it may not be worth the expense in many cases. Condition also plays a role in market value, of course, and the torn state of several of your tix (collectors generally prefer complete, unused tickets) as well as stains from the old cello tape put a hurt on the value of your grouping. Still, Baltimore fans might like your stub from the '59 NFL Championship game. And a quick check suggests your '71 World Series stub might be the most valuable piece you have, if indeed, as the handwritten score implies, the ticket was for decisive Game 7. We wouldn't expect big money for any of them -- but ask the Net54 guys!

5. journeymagazine

I will check with them - thank you!

6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

A very cool collection and a sad one for one reason only. I’ve loved attending concerts (other events as well but mostly concerts) since grade school. I’ve been to hundreds since then and enjoy collecting my ticket stubs. They are so fun to look back at and remember certain nights, with old friends, or old lovers, or what have you. A real trip down memory lane. Speaking of which as you look back many you had forgotten you even went to at all. Without them I would have totally forgotten about lots of them. Fast forward to current day and the ticket stub is a thing of the past. You can’t even get a physical ticket now if you want it when you buy online. Some places still have a physical box office but I’m sure they will all be gone soon too. In the somewhat earlier days of online ticket buying I would just scour the floor on the walk out of the venue and inevitably find a stub for my collection. These days there isn’t one to be found. I’ll even walk the rows sometimes looking for one if I’m not in a rush (almost always to my partner in crimes chagrin) and can’t find one to save my life. Maybe it’s a childish desire to save them but it makes me sad that my collection has ended. It’s been 25 years or so since I’ve been going to shows and those early ones from the late 90’s are starting to have some value I’d imagine. As a kid I’d hang out after shows and have some of them signed if I could. The times they are always a changin!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    BaseballGames likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's sad. I keep my eyes peeled for them too, even though the few I find aren't worth more than the paper they're printed on. Now all tickets are electronic with no stubs to drop. One reason "kids today" collect other things. They can't collect the ephemera any more; there isn't any.

J Dagger likes this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Very cool find journey!!!!

journeymagazine likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

I put the single 1937 World series ticket up on eBay (yard sale has been slow last 2 weekends + I was curious of the response since only 1 has sold (for $501 with a psa certified authentic coa) - I accepted $375 within 8 hours! (with its condition & no coa I thought it was fair - and I could use the $)

J Dagger and evelyb30 like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

At least one of us is turning a buck!

J Dagger and journeymagazine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted