Thrift Find - Signed Leroy Neiman + Antique Cloisonne(?) Brass or Nronze Vase

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 5, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I missed a few days going to thrift store - my dog Sparkle had a ear infection that made her either shake her head too hard or scratch her ear too hard, causing a big swollen pocket in her ear flap that needed surgery - then a couple days staying home & spoiling her with attention (she is my baby!)

Today I went back & there wasn't a lot, but I did find a signed Leroy Neiman(!) and this vase that I could use some help with.
    Is it a antique? A cloisonne? Brass or Bronze?
    I paid $50 for it (but only $20 for the signed Leroy Neiman so even if the vase isn't anything I think I still came out ahead?)

Thank you and Happy New Year!

ART PRINT LEROY NEIMAN GOLF SIGNED 1AAAA.JPG ART PRINT LEROY NEIMAN GOLF SIGNED 4AAA.JPG ART PRINT LEROY NEIMAN GOLF SIGNED 4AAAA.JPG ART PRINT LEROY NEIMAN GOLF SIGNED 7AA.JPG ART VASE BRONZE CHINESE 1AA.jpg ART VASE BRONZE CHINESE 2AAA.jpg ART VASE BRONZE CHINESE 3AAAA.jpg ART VASE BRONZE CHINESE 5AA.jpg ART VASE BRONZE CHINESE 6AA.jpg ART VASE BRONZE CHINESE 9AA.jpg

sabre123 likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

And this is Sparkle! (After surgery - she's still drowsy)

DOG SPARKLE AFTER SURGERY 2AA.jpg DOG SPARKLE AFTER SURGERY 4AA.jpg

3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Awww, poor Sparkle! My bearded collie used to get chronic ear infections, and they finally resected part of his ears to stop it from happening. He had the same head bandage as Sparkle.

That vase gives me an Egyptian vibe, but I'm more familiar with Japanese and Chinese cloisonne, so I'm probably wayyy off base.

edit: I did a super fast google image search, and I am actually seeing somewhat similar motif marked as Japanese. Have you tried google image? I don't have time to look at each one, though I'd love to, but maybe you'll have luck there. The ones I saw did fetch a bit more than what you normally come across on ebay.

judy likes this.
  4. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Poor Sparkle! I hope she feels better tomorrow.

judy and journeymagazine like this.
  5. journeymagazine

I found a similar called champlave?

judy and tie.dye.cat like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Just in case you didn't know, champleve (notice spelling) is a type of enameling. It refers to how the enameling is done.

NewEngland and judy like this.
  7. journeymagazine

Is that what I have - can I call it that when selling?
    Bronze?

judy likes this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

One of our heelers , now in doggy heaven and a current heeler both have ear problems if they get food rich in protein. We have to buy cheap dog food. Even too many dog biscuits and both would start shaking their heads and scratching their ears. I discovered the problem after $700 in vet bills with no relief. I had asked the vet when I first took her in if it could be food related since we had changed food for our older dog. He said no but that is what it turned out too be.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I never seem to be able to tell the difference between champleve and cloisonné, best you do some research. You have the piece in hand so you should be able to figure it out :)

journeymagazine likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

I definitely give them too many dog biscuits & rawhide with chicken knobs etc.. I'm seeing vet tomorrow to hopefully remove bandages & I'll ask - thanks.
    PS - Doc changed the bandages last visit but she came in from yard one night looking like she was wearing a ascot or scarf! (she'd gotten it partly off somehow), so I made her a new one. I'm glad we're going to vet tomorrow - she looks like a character out of Star Wars!
    (But you can tell she is feeling so much better - smiling & hopping around ready to play again!)

DOG SPARKLE AFTER SURGERY 5AA.jpg

11. journeymagazine

12. journeymagazine

I think I got it! I found a limited edition Varga(s) with a edition of 200
    Plus a Reserved Edition of 50
    Plus a Esquire Edition of 25
    Plus a Artist Proof Edition of 9 or 12 (I forgot which, sorry)

What is a Reserved Edition?

Thank you!

13. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It would seem that the “reserved” edition and the “esquire” edition were just a means to stretch the edition to 275 and entice 75 people to pay a premium for something that has zero added value. Another common technique was to print a few hundred on arches paper numbered in Arabic numerals and another few hundred on Japon paper numbered in Roman numerals.

reader likes this.
  14. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

15. journeymagazine

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted