Thrift find - Karl Wilkes 'History Lesson #5' limited edition #10/200

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 15, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a thrift store today. I looked the artist Karl Wilkes & the print History Lesson #5 up and saw it is selling for over $2,000!

But it said the print was 30" x 40" and when I measured mine it is 26" x 30" inside edge of frame to inside edge of frame including the black & the visible art itself is only 26.5" x 18.5"?

Mine says it is #10 of a 200 edition which is the same as what it says on the different websites I found it. But they also say Masterpiece Edition?
    Was there a different - smaller - edition besides Masterpiece Edition that was also a limited edition?

Could mine be a copy/print someone made? (the edition # looks good as does the signature)

Ant help would be appreciated; I'm not sure what I have & don't want to try to sell it until I know.
    Thank you

ART PRINT KARL WILKES 1AA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 2AA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 3AA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 4AA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 5AA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 5AA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 6AA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 7AA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 8AAA.JPG ART PRINT KARL WILKES 8AA.JPG

Born2it and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Signed and numbered reproduction

4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Perhaps it didn't 'matter' as much in 2014

Doesn't look like a particularly great auction house either, damaged frame also

Just because that one sold for that, doesn't mean you can't make a profit on yours

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted