Thrift find - image search says it is a 'Isidore Bonheur "WINNERS CIRCLE" bronze', but no signature?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 27, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store Fri along with the Alexander Calder exhibition poster, a 1952 Yoshi Yoshida woodblock + a few other pieces that all came from the same house (supposedly someone passed away & family members donated the contents to make it easier to sell the house + the donations were a tax write off they could use to pay inheritance/house sale taxes) + there were more pieces that I couldn't afford!

I did an image search of this statue & it came back as a bronze statue called Winner's Circle by Isidore Bonhuer!
    But I can't find a signature & the bottom/base looks & feels like some type of metal?

How do I find out if the horse & jockey are bronze? Did they make a copy of his work? (I can't find any)
    Either way I love this piece & think it's stunning; when I asked how much it was & they told me $100 I didn't hesitate - even before I knew it was supposed to be by some well known artist.

Any information that will help me know what I have would be greatly appreciated.

ART STATUE HORSE & JOCKEY BY ISADORE BONHEUR 1A_AA.jpg ART STATUE HORSE & JOCKEY BY ISADORE BONHEUR 1AA.jpg ART STATUE HORSE & JOCKEY BY ISADORE BONHEUR 2AA.jpg ART STATUE HORSE & JOCKEY BY ISADORE BONHEUR 2CAA.jpg ART STATUE HORSE & JOCKEY BY ISADORE BONHEUR 3AA.jpg ART STATUE HORSE & JOCKEY BY ISADORE BONHEUR 3BAA.jpg ART STATUE HORSE & JOCKEY BY ISADORE BONHEUR 3DA.jpg ART STATUE HORSE & JOCKEY BY ISADORE BONHEUR 3DAA.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

All the comps says asking price should be between $500 to $5000,you just need to take it to a gallery in West Palm that caters to the trendy nouveau riche and see what they'll give you for this thing.A little gas & 'easy peasy' amigo-you should make a bit on it.
    PS-It's got a crack thru the base (that doesn't overall bode well). Does it test as bronze or some kind of spelter ? Never fear-You'll find a multitude of sites online explaining how to tell the difference.Have faith-it's easy.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    judy, mirana, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Will a magnet stick or not stick to bronze or spelter?

judy likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Not sure,answers gotta be online though.

judy likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think a magnet will only stick to ferrous metal, iron, steel.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No magnets for spelter.

judy and kyratango like this.
  7. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The garish patination would suggest that this is a relatively recent knock off rather than a period bronze.

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Looking at the legs of the horse and the neck what is the white areas? Is it faux bronze with a metal base?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    judy likes this.
  9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  10. MrsNezbitt

MrsNezbitt Member

It's a reproduction so its value is essentially decorative

verybrad and judy like this.
  11. MrsNezbitt

MrsNezbitt Member

i.e. what would someone pay to decorate their house with this, as opposed to purchase for its craftsmanship or rarity

judy likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

13. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I think you did good @journeymagazine
    Even with the damage, and being a copy you should do good.
    Mikey

judy and mirana like this.
  14. journeymagazine

I found a couple more of the Maitland Smith now that I knew what to look for- but they all have red jerseys, where the originals have green jerseys like mine?
    Have you seen a copy with a green jersey? (does it mean anything?)

Draft saved Draft deleted