Featured Thrift Find - Highwaymen H Baker painting + a Dali 'Omage to Omer'(?) A/P

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 4, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Went to my favorite thrift store this morning and what did I find - the SAME Highwaymen painting by Hezikah Baker that I'd found there before but it was being sent to their other store in a higher end neighborhood!
    I guess it didn't sell there or they didn't believe it was a Highwaymen painting & they sent it back - where I found iy again! That's karma!
    Is this by Hezikiah Baker? The signature looks like 1 I saw online?

Also in the stack sent to the store was what looks like a original Salvidore Dali lithograph 'Homage to Homer' - but this one is a Artist Proof & has a COA on the back from Nouveau Artists in New York; which appears to be a legitimate gallery.
    I know that Dali is one of the most copied artists - so is mine real or a copy? Is Nouveau Artists a legitimate company and/or is their COA a good one? (I noticed they misspelled Homage to Homer as Omage to Omar)?
    And the ones I found online have more color (most - some looked like mine).

Did I hit a homerun today?

Thank you for any help!

ART PAINTING HIGHWAYMEN HAZAKIAH BAKER 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING HIGHWAYMEN HAZAKIAH BAKER 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING HIGHWAYMEN HAZAKIAH BAKER 4AA.jpg ART PAINTING HIGHWAYMEN HAZAKIAH BAKER 8AA.jpg

ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 1BAA.jpg ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 2AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 3AA.jpg

ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 4AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 4bAA.jpg ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 5AA.jpg

mirana, J Dagger, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Here is the back with the COA - any good?
    Thank you!

ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 7AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 8AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI HOMAGE TO HOMER 8BAA.jpg

cxgirl, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To put it bluntly... A COA isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Debora

Figtree3, techbiker and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. journeymagazine

A COA or this one? It is from a company in NY that seems to have been in business for awhile?
    Is my Dali a copy/fake?

cxgirl likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Any COA including this one. 99.9% likely a fake. Nouveau Galleries was in business between 1979 and 1992.

Debora

techbiker likes this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Im not any sort of expert here but think the Dalí print seems very faded. The cyan and black are usually the last colours to go.
    IMG_2390.jpeg

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

:cyclops:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Bronwen, cxgirl, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thanks Houseful, I had no idea what this was supposed to look like.

Houseful likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

Yes I noticed the colors & said I saw them but also saw some like mine - but I also thought it'd been in the sun/a sunny window too long.
    Thank you.

cxgirl and Houseful like this.
  11. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t touch a Dali with an a.p. or h.c. with a ten foot pole.

johnnycb09, techbiker and Debora like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

13. journeymagazine

14. journeymagazine

Thanks for all the information; I wasn't sure about the Dali's authenticity which is why I asked, but the 4 pieces I got - including the H. Baker - were inexpensive enough (under $150) that I don't think I'll lose money - and if push come to shove I like the Dali enough to keep it myself!

cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  15. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

I typically stay far, far away from CoAs!

antidiem likes this.
  16. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Your Highwaymen painting here got under-commented-on. I have no knowledge, but I'd love to hear what others think.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. journeymagazine

cxgirl and Potteryplease like this.
  18. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

cxgirl likes this.
  19. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

An exception to the COA being fake rule, or outright dismissal of them altogether is that many lower to mid level contemporary artist put them on their paintings. Have bought quite a few myself from various painters. The COA's will be relevent down the road if a said artist becomes collectable in the future.

mirana, cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you for adding that information.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted