Featured Thrift find - Carved Wood Naga Morsarang Medicine Horn - I've found bronze ones, but no carved wood?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 14, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today as it came off the truck at a friend's thrift store. He wanted $125 & I didn't argue because it is so different (I think he knows my weak spot!) & when I googled it I found Naga Morsarang medicine horn - but I've only found bronze & 1 in a museum made of horn & wood.
    And since mine is 1 piece and the tail doesn't open, I'm thinking I may have a tourist piece - except I can't find another like it?

Whoever had it before cared about it - they put little pads to protect it when it was sat down.

Can anyone tell me what i found? Age?
    Any thoughts/information would be greatly appreciated!

First 2 photos I took at thrift store - the rest at home in the sunlight (I'm going to have to retake them out of direct sunlight; my camera phone doesn't take a clear pics there it seems.)

ART CARVED DRAGON 8AAZZ.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 8AAAZZ.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 1AAZZ.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 2AAZZ.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 3AAZZ.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 3AABbbb.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 4AAzzzz.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 5AAZZ.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 6AAZZ.jpg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, mirana and 3 others like this.
  2. journeymagazine

I thought it was just a chip until I read about it - maybe the hole on top of last man on the tail was going to be to hold medicine? (bad photo, I know - sorry)

ART CARVED DRAGON 5BAAZZZ.jpg ART CARVED DRAGON 4AAzzzz.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Odds are that would have been up in smoke in 60 seconds. People like dragons. No idea if it is what it thinks it is.

4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

jmag-just out of curiosity,how many days a week do you go picking?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the pads are to protect the furniture....not the other way around........:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Figtree3 and BoudiccaJones like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Mon - Fri I'm at my friends shop by 7am to see what is coming in from the trucks & then I go to another about a block away (where I already stopped & put my Charlie's spot sign ) and wait with some friends for it to open at 9am.
    I usually head home around 10:15 when the people who bring out new stuff go on break, but my friends stay till 3pm until they stop bringing new stuff out for the day!

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

A genuine Batak naga morsarang, medicine horn, is made from a water buffalo horn, with a carved wooden stopper in the large open end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_morsarang

What you have is some sort of decorative copy.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and MKLH like this.
  8. bosko69

Journey-You're a hard-working steady-rolling man.Enjoy it while your young Kid !

journeymagazine likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Lake Toba is a popular tourist destination, with many shops and roadside stalls where carvings are sold.
    No, that's damage.:( On real Naga Morsarangs the tail man would be the stopper.
    Only if you put it on a bonfire, but why on earth would anyone do that, it isn't that bad.
    Although it isn't the best Naga Morsarang copy I've seen, I'm sure someone likes it enough to save it from evelyb's bonfire. It has decorative value.

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  10. journeymagazine

I hope so!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. bosko69

J Meister-the real ones (buffalo horn) are only $150-$400,barring true museum pieces.Be of good cheer Journey and soldier on kid !
    You'd have to be Dr. Who or God to know everything.
    PS-My Lady just got a beautiful Woman's Burberry Trench Coat yesterday...is it a genuine Burberry ??? -either way,it's a beautiful classic raincoat for $50,there ya go.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    journeymagazine likes this.
  12. evelyb30

American context strikes again. Not bad... out the door. Dragons are a hot decorator motif. I can see even this copy on some milennial's shelf in pride of place.

mirana likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Decorators will have to look elsewhere for their dragons.

There is no dragon anywhere on a Naga Morsarang, or even associated with a Naga Morsarang.
    The main head is that of a Singa, which in the Batak context is a combination of several animals, none of them anything to do with a dragon.
    No dragons on any other parts of the Naga Morsarang either.

2manybooks likes this.
  14. evelyb30

Tell the decorators that.(LOL)

15. Any Jewelry

Sure, blame the decorators.

16. evelyb30

Only when they're guilty, which they generally are.

17. bosko69

The whole Cosmos has gone 'Game of Thrones' chic ! There haven't been actual Dragons for thousands of years fer God's sake.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  18. evelyb30

DnD got there 40 years ago,but back then dragons were for geeks and techies.

Draft saved Draft deleted