Featured Thrift Find - Can anyone tell me about this old jade water buffalo?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 15, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a friend's 2nd hand/thrift store today. He had it on a shelf with a bunch of indian & buddha statues (he's spanish (I think he's cuban) & he's told me before that the statues bring him luck). This piece was new; I'd never seen it before so I asked him if he'd sell it?
    At first he said no, but then I told him I'd give him $100 for it - and that it wasn't an indian or buddha so it wasn't going to bring bad luck to sell it - he thought for a moment, called his wife over & spoke to her, and then agreed to sell it to me!
    Now I need to know if I got a good deal or did I shoot myself in the foot - again!? Can anyone tell me anything about it?
    I know I've seen that star like symbol on the top of it's head before - what does that mean?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    It measures 8" wide x 4" high.
    Thank you!

ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 1AA.JPG ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 1AAA.JPG ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 1BAA.JPG ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 2BAA.JPG ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 3AAA.JPG ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 4AA.JPG ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 4AAA.JPG ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 8AA.JPG
    ART CARVED JADE WATER BUFFALO 6AA.JPG

PS - HERE IS ANOTHER COOL PIECE I FOUND TODAY; IT'S A VINTAGE (1950s? 1960s?) CAST ALUMINUM COUNTERTOP SIGN FOR PABST BLUE RIBBON BEER - NOT SURE IF/WHY SOMEONE PAINTED BOTTLE? BUT THEY DIDN'T HELP IT + THE ROPES & 3 CORNER POLES ARE MISSING - BUT IT'S STILL A COOL PIECE!

SIGN BEER PABST BLUE RIBBON COUNTERTOP SIGN CAST ALUMINUM 1AAA.JPG

judy, wlwhittier, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think that's a soapstone water buffalo. Others may know better. He's happy-looking. No clue what they sell for new.

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I thought that was possible because of nose but the vein or dark mark on back near hind legs made me believe it's jade.
    Not sure either - why I posted it here!

judy, pearlsnblume and Potteryplease like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I've been reading this old book about jade that I found at an estate sale, and one difference between jade and soapstone is their hardness. Jade is much harder than soapstone, so if little nicks or scratches are common on a piece, it might not be jade.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Soapstone can be scratched with your fingernail jade cannot.There are a number of stones which look like jade.Try scrapping the bottom of it's foot with your fingernail or a copper penny.

kyratango, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Renee Yancy

Renee Yancy Active Member

Yes, I love that the bull is smiling. Made me smile. but then, I am easily amused.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  7. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

GAD! I first thought it was a fat bat!

8. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is or where it came from but I LOVE THAT WATER BUFFALO

That is all.

Silverthorne likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted