Featured Thrift Find: Blenko Charcoal 5616c Vase...?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mirana, Feb 14, 2024.

1. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: Not an expert on Art Glass...barely a novice. I just pick up things from the thrift that speak to me. Usually things that look handmade or artistic.

This one was at the thrift completely foul and dirty, inside and out, but I thought it had a lovely color, quality and a gracefulness you don't see in manufactured stuff so I picked it up and saw the rough pontil. Figured it didn't have to be an "investment" piece because I was going to probably keep it for myself anyway.

One Google hunt later and I think I may have picked up a Blenko 5616c 19.75" Wayne Huster-designed vase in the Charcoal colorway. What say you, experts?

Blenko 5616-C Charcoal Vase 1sm.jpg

Blenko 5616-C Charcoal Vase 2sm.jpg

Blenko 1956 Catalog
    Blenko 5616-C Charcoal Vase 4sm.jpg

Thanks to everyone who's posted on other Blenko postings. I read them all and they were so helpful. The BlenkoCollectors.com site that was suggested is just the sort of perfect enthusiastic collector's site with amazing history that I always try to find, but Google buries because the internet searches are shit now. :grumpy:

2. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

In my limited experience, most Blenko have finished bases, not pontil scars. But that sure looks like the catalog picture. Charcoal may be the color but it would be early, in the 60's charcoal tended to blue-green. If you do an ebay search Blenko "5616" (without the quotes you get hundreds of listings!) you get several. The one I pulled up (tangerine) has the pontil and is acid-etched Blenko on the base. Good for you! I love Blenko, it's beautiful stuff.

Linda

judy, wlwhittier, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I saw that one while at the thrift (woo Lens!) and thought "ah this must not be a 'real' one but I'll get it anyway because it is pretty and $5." I did more digging when I got home and found the catalog listing. The Collectors site has a page on the pontil as apparently some people think a Blenko must have a rough pontil? But they can be rough or ground according to them? The color I think matches when the vase was designed at least. It looks like a lot of them don't have the logo etching, but I haven't looked further into what year that started...maybe I should. :bookworm:

Thank you! I didn't know about Blenko before this but that's the fun of the thrift for me. I try to find beautiful objects and then learn the history of the artisans behind them. Blenko stuff looks really lovely. I can see why people collect it.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I found a Blenko decanter in my local swap shop, it had a pontil scar, and luckily the original sticker :)

BlenkoTangDcntr.jpg BlenkoDecaanterBtmCrop.jpg

judy, wlwhittier and mirana like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

6. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Looks spot-on to me. Very nice find, especially in the Charcoal color glass. Also, take a look at the 1957 catalog - that design number was listed differently from 1956:

5616a ---> 5616
    5616b ---> 5616-B
    5616c ---> 5616-A

And then in 1958:

5616 ---> Discontinued
    5616-B ---> 5616-B
    5616-A ---> 5616-C

I only mention it if you are planning to list it for sale. If you search on eBay, you'll find as many variations of the "5616x" number as you can think of, due to the Blenko catalog confusion.

1957 Catalog - Page 21:
    1957_11.jpg

1958 Catalog - Page 11:
    1958_12.jpg

mirana likes this.
  7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for checking the others! I stopped with the first one because downloading large pdfs on my phone was making it mad... :meh: I will save your images so I remember, if I ever did sell it...and just for my information in general.

I enjoy the charcoal color a lot and it goes great in my home, but I had wondered if it was less popular since so much of the pieces I see are in bright, "fun" colors.

Draft saved Draft deleted