Featured Thrift find beautiful, HEAVY urn? vase? w/lid, elephant head handles + crown 1897 mark

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 19, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a small 2nd hand/thrift store on my way home from my regular thrift store.
    The first thing that got me was how Heavy it is!! I almost dropped it when I first picked it up!
    The 2nd thing - and it made me think it might have some age to it & was not a new knock off, was 1 of the elephant head handles has spots of deterioration/wear/age(?)
    So I bought it for $50.
    When I got it home I took photos to post here hoping to find out about it (image search didn't turn up anything similar) and found a mark on the inside of the base - a crown with 1897 in it. But a image search of that didn't turn up anything the same either?
    A few questions - what is this called? (a tureen?)
    Has anyone seen the mark before?
    Is it old - like 1897 old?
    Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 1AA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 2A_AA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 2A_AAA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 2A_BAA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 2AA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 3AA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 3CAA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 4AA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 5AA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 5CAA.jpg

KSW, kyratango, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  2. journeymagazine

This is inside of bottom/base

POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 6AA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 6CAA.jpg POTTERY ELEPHANT HANDLE JAR 6DAA.jpg

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

United Wilson

KSW, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yup. Here is an example from Gotheborg.

upload_2023-12-19_14-44-25.jpeg

KSW, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Thank you Kronos!
    Is the 1897 when they started or (fingers crossed!) date if...what is it?!
    Wonder why it didn't come up in image search?

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Thanks - same date so it must be when company started?

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

No,:( it's modern decorative ware post 1978. If this is from their Ormolu series then 1990s.

https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml

UNITED WILSON (永 勝 彩 瓷 廠)
    United Wilson Porcelain Factory, Hong Kong, China. One of the last remaining porcelain factories in Hong Kong, with more than 40 Years of History. Began as the Yong heng ci chang (永亨瓷廠) porcelain workshop in Macau. In the early 1970s the two founders opened the J&P Trading Company, specializing in the export trade of porcelain. In 1978, the United Wilson Porcelain Factory (UWPF) was officially founded. Their Ormolu series, where porcelain is combined with gilt bronze, was launched in the 1990s.
    [​IMG] 942. Mark: "UW". Mark used by United Wilson Porcelain Factory. Factory still in operation.
    [​IMG] 639. Mark: UW. Used by United Wilson, Hong Kong. Porcelain manufactured in China. Date: Modern, probably 1990s.
    [​IMG]Click here to see large picture

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    KSW, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

KSW, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Is this one of their French copies then?
    I saw ormolu in my search but I saw it was a form of gilding/gold coloring?

KSW likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's very attractive.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Time to ride the Ebay 'Wayback' machine Journ-just pop-in '1897 Tureen United Wilson'...'Sold' results natch ;)

KSW and kyratango like this.
  12. journeymagazine

Thank you - I put tureen in description on image search before I learned it was United Wilson & nothing came up, so with that + no hole in lid for a spoon made me think it wasn't a tureen!
    Thank you

13. bosko69

Good luck Journey ! It's a pretty piece.

KSW likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

Thank you bosko69!

KSW likes this.
  15. bosko69

Draft saved Draft deleted