Thrift Find - Baker Furniture Pembroke/Drop Leaf Table - Federal Style? Charleston?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by journeymagazine, Dec 21, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this table at a local thrift store yesterday. It has a Baker Furniture label inside the drawer that when I searched the name was shocked at the prices - for the $75 I paid it looks like I got a steal!

But I'm not a big furniture buyer - it looks like Baker's Charleston collection but it also looks just like one called 'Federalist style'

What kind do I have?
    How old is it?
    How do I fix marring on top - sanding (do NOT want to try that!)? Leave as is? How badly does the top affect it's value as is?

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you!

FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 1A_AA.jpg FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 1A_AAA.jpg FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 1A_BAA.jpg FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 5AA.jpg FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 6AAA.jpg FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 6AAAA.jpg FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 1AA.jpg FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 3AA.jpg FURNITURE TABLE BAKER DROP LEAF SIDE TABLE 4AA.jpg

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Journey-Nice table,BTW-how much is it worth ? .
    You want to experiment w/ artists oils paint & a fine sable brush on blending the tables top colors,have a q-tip so you can gently remove any over paint.You can add an accelerant to the oil paint to make it dry faster.When it's done to yr satisfaction (and Dry !) you'll want to varnish it w/ either a matte,semi gloss or gloss finish.More detailed instructions can be found on the Internet.This is how I retouched my solid oak living room floor !
    You could use aniline dyes but they can dry very quickly.

3. journeymagazine

Paint won't feel or look different from surrounding areas?

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It certainly would. Wait for suggestions from Verybrad instead.

5. bosko69

Research journey-with the correct oil paint & topcoat it should smooth out quite nicely.there are an amazing amount of great furniture restoration videos on YouTube-shops that work with big-bucks museum furniture.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Howard's Restor-A-Finish would make this look significantly better. If you want to take it another step, you could reamalgamate the existing finish with lacquer thinner. This is a tricky process that involved breaking down the existing finish and spreading it more evenly across the entire surface. You have to work fast and I would not try it on this piece if you have never done this before. It is easy to make a mess of the project if you do not know what you are doing.

As for value, it really depends on where you are and if you have the right customer base. Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, Baker doesn't bring much of a premium over other similar looking furniture. Most people just don't know anything about the brand. I would not have paid $75.00 for this in this condition. In large metropolitan areas or on-line, you might do a lot better.

Figtree3, sabre123 and Bakersgma like this.
  7. bosko69

I know the MCM Baker can go for good money-Federalist repros no info. I'd ask old man Google abt that.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm no help. Looks like water got onto the top. Federalist style furniture goes for no money here in CT. It may do better elsewhere.

9. journeymagazine

The restore a finish is just brush on & let dry? I could handle that much I think(!) I'm going to see where I can get some here in Miami - I'm guessing Home Depot would have it?
    Thank you all for the help!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted