Thrift Find - 3 Salvator Dali's; are these real?!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 1, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found the large The Discovery by Salvator Dali + 4 smaller etchings/prints (I sold 2 to a friend who saw me paying for them as soon as I walked out the door - his were more like portraits (Dali style!) and I kept the more surreal ones.
    I know that the fact they say EA for artist's proof is a red flag (I learned that here!) because Dali is the most copied artist out there, but the price was right ($37.50 each) + I could see the impression around the edge where the plate/stone was pressed into the paper; which made me think that if they were copies, at least these were better done & on better paper than ones I've seen that you could tell were just printed copies on paper.
    Are these real?

The last one (I took 1 pic outside & 1 inside of it) is a large piece called 'The Discovery' by Dali and it has a pencil signed signature + it's a limited edition with a pencil signed edition number of 207 out of 300.
    Doing a image search on it I found others - also with a one of 300 edition #.
    Is this one real?

As always I greatly appreciate any help or thoughts you can give me!

ART PRINT DALI ANGEL 1BAA.jpg ART PRINT DALI ANGEL 2AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI ANGEL 4DAA.jpg

ART PRINT DALI NEPTUNE 1AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI NEPTUNE 3AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI NEPTUNE 3DAA.jpg

ART PRINT DALI THE DISCOVERY 1AA.jpg ART PRINT DALI THE DISCOVERY 2BAA.jpg ART PRINT DALI THE DISCOVERY 4BAA.jpg
    ART PRINT DALI THE DISCOVERY 5AA.jpg

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  2. journeymagazine

This is the other piece I found yesterday - I didn't know Opera could look cool!

ART POSTER OPERA 1BAA.jpg ART POSTER OPERA 1DAAA.jpg

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

judy, sabre123, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  4. komokwa

5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

We had a gallery here in Atlanta but was also in other states and via cruise ships called Park West that was notorious for selling works that were 'after' and signed along with COA. The COA's were not worth the paper they were printed on.

Boland, komokwa, mirana and 6 others like this.
  6. journeymagazine

I've heard of them & have gotten some of their pieces buying art in bulk - their COA s that I remember were so vague you could inter change them on different art!

mirana, judy, NewEngland and 3 others like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Dali is a minefield.

techbiker, aaroncab, antidiem and 5 others like this.
  9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

True that. I've read that Dali was happy to entertain many sketchy projects as long as his pocketbook was fattened. Including putting his name on art he had no hand in. Add on that, all the aftermarket prints.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Towards the end many people in his 'entourage' took advantage of his failing health and let him sign mass produced work. In the end he died alone, no entourage.

komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

If you're going to talk to an expert, this is probably the one as he made a career out of determining Dali fakes and can do print appraisals from photo and phone review. His social media is full of stories of Dali fakes. He does mention people buying them "on vacation" and that many sources for these prints would not tell him how they aquired them when he started out. Definitely a mine field!

Considering his abhorrent views and behavior, this is one I'm not sad about.

12. Any Jewelry

Understandable. He was "off his trolley", so I didn't take any of it seriously (except when he said that Vermeer was a genius). But I'm sure his views hurt many people, which should be taken seriously.

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

The letter asserting all non-white people should be enslaved, and the pivot to praising Franco and Hitler were particular stand outs.

komokwa, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I didn't know about the racist one, I did know about the other two. As I said, I never took anything he said seriously, but do take the pain he caused seriously.

komokwa likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The man was a brilliant technician (there's certainly a lot of his work that I really like), but other surrealists saw him as a huckster. His work was more about sensationalism than a point of view, or insight, or belief. He was ever the showman and principally devoted to profit... by any means.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

his work speaks for itself........... I luv mine !!
    genuine or not..

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The major problem with his etchings and prints is that the later the work gets, the more problematic it becomes that he did it. He signed a whole lot of blank paper.

Any Jewelry and all_fakes like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I almost like some of it, but most doesn't "sing". Even the real pieces. I usually leave anything marked "Dali" where I found it, just because of the fakes. He's the Tiffany sterling jewelry of fine art. There is some real stuff, but unless you know what you're doing I wouldn't buy any. The odds are too good that it's not. Good, that is.

19. komokwa

oh oh.....I think wife of mine is going after the hazelnut and milk bars....:hungry::hungry::inpain::inpain:

journeymagazine likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Smart wife! I'm a dark chocolate girl, generally, but anything with nuts is fair game! White chocolate is only good for baking (reverse chocolate chip cookies) and hand lotion.

Draft saved Draft deleted