Featured Three Pieces of Jewish (Judaica) Silverware

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Won this lot at auction today.

JewSilver01.jpg

Not being Jewish, I won't be keeping the silver, but the decorations appealed to me. I believe them to be kiddush cups/beakers/goblets, for the service of wine during the sabbath observances.

Regardless of anything, I am thinking of keeping the smallest cup, just because I like the grapes and stuff decorating the outside. The other two will be sold. I cleaned the middle cup with an electric toothbrush and it removed the clagged up tarnish very well! I was extremely impressed with the results.

Not speaking Yiddish, beyond the more well-known phrases, nor being conversant in Hebrew, what exactly is written above the bunch of grapes on the goblet on the left? Does anybody know?

Bakersgma, Lucille.b, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't read Hebrew, but this article says they often have a person's name.

Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  3. Shangas

I don't think it's custom-made. That being the case I suspect it probably has a Jewish/yiddish religious phrase or word on it. I'm just not sure what.

I have many Jewish friends. I've sent them messages to ask them if they can tell me more about the cups beyond what I already know/suspect.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

If I made the right guesses about the letters, IM Translator tells me it says Randy. It's a big IF, the translator is eager to please & does some guessing of its own. The letters on the keyboard I used looked more like the ones on the cup than the forms this type font is using, but I copied & pasted: רןשׂדכ

judy likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Jerusalem.....
    You're right about their use, although the center one doesn't seen to have any Jewish connection....that I can see.

cxgirl, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. komokwa

my families cups....ignore the middle one.....

IMG_2331.JPG

cxgirl, Bakersgma, judy and 7 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

You're right, makes way more sense. Couldn't understand how there could be an S or SH in the middle, only letter I was somewhat sure of, & have it come out as Randy.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  8. Shangas

My Jewish friends pulled through with the results. it does indeed say JERUSALEM in Hebrew. I looked up similar cups online and they all match this style in one way or another. So I have no doubt that they are all kiddush cups.

The little one with the grapes is so cute!! That said, having seen what's on offer online...these look so plain, now! The ones I saw were GORGEOUS!!! :eek:

9. komokwa

Sterling mint julep cups are similar.
    I prefer to see kiddush cups with a flared or rolled drinking edge, and some design to intimate their intended use.

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  10. Shangas

I checked the hallmarks on the base. The maker's mark comes from a firm well-known for manufacturing silver judaica. So I have no doubt that's what they are.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There's no question. I have a collection of my own, but no sterling ones. Mine are glass, porcelain, pottery etc. I did score a sterling cup once that was a miniature version - gave it to a friend who's a rabbi. It's now in his collection with a really old olive wood one that cropped up a few years ago.

12. Shangas

My friends IDed these at once as being Kiddush cups, so that was good enough for me! :p

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. Bronwen

And here I thought we were your friends. :joyful:

komokwa likes this.
  14. Shangas

My friend-friends, not my internet-friends!! :p

15. komokwa

Of course...cuz you showed them all 3 at once....

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted