Featured Threaded post pierced earrings date

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 11, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’m presuming these are earrings although I wouldn’t fancy putting them through my ears!
    Looking online it tells me that threaded post earrings were around from the very late 1800s but another site says they are still made today? There is some confusion between screw backs and threaded posts so maybe that’s what they mean?
    Any clues as to the age of these please?
    These are clearly by the same manufacturer but not actually a pair so maybe something else? c1.5cm across and base metal. Thankyou :)

74B7CF7D-BAEE-47BB-B343-BCC0B89C768D.jpeg 17F2FF30-6C95-459E-BBF8-E6DFCD476CFE.jpeg 551700BC-C73B-4BD8-B89E-18AD49E8C019.jpeg F653C6ED-F6A2-4C85-9171-62115326AD07.jpeg 9F309D5D-188F-4E7A-8D2F-930809934ED3.jpeg

Lucille.b, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have only ever seen antique ones, never new.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Me too. Those look like nice old paste.

Lucille.b, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think the site wasn’t clear and they were meaning the screw back ones for people without pierced ears are still made today.
    Would c1900 likely be about right for these then?

5. Any Jewelry

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

Lucille.b, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not that I don't think these have some decent age, but threaded post earrings are still produced today, most often diamond studs (also custom, my jeweler set some family diamonds into threaded post studs for me)...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and Lucille.b like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Those are interesting earrings KSW. They have the beauty of an older set but I've never seen posts like that. Sounds like it was/is a thing, though!

What is the advantage of having threaded? Genuinely curious!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that as a few minutes ago I tripped over some threaded posts in jewellery supplies on Cooksons Gold. Happy to say they are considerably less err….agricultural…than the old ones!

10. DragonflyWink

They keep the clutch from coming off easily - personally, probably because I've always worn my hair long, those push-on 'butterfly' clutches get caught up, go flying, and maybe half the time the earring comes out as well.

Not sure they're here, but somewhere I have some fairly modern 10K cameo earrings with threaded posts - will check and take a pic if they're around...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, Lucille.b and Lark like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

The threaded post made them more secure. How many earrings I have lost over the years with unthreaded posts. I go with lever back when I can.

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Here's a photo of what I think of when threaded post earrings are mentioned.
    Yours look a bit scary... I'm not sure they really are earrings...?

[​IMG]

DragonflyWink, Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I know, the threaded backs look like something that could do serious damage, like you better have a Tetanus shot before wearing them. Maybe because the photo is enlarged makes it look more menacing than real life.

The fronts are gorgeous -- what will you do with these KSW?

bluumz and DragonflyWink like this.
  14. DragonflyWink

Eh, the memory isn't what it used to be. I have a finer, older cameo set in 10K, but these had a note with them reminding me that I took them to the jeweler because even though stamped '14K', they looked weird, he said they were rhodium-plated yellow gold - at any rate, an example of threaded posts from well into the 20th century...

cameo-set-rhodium-plated-14k-yellow.jpg

~Cheryl

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’m not convinced either- button hole thingies is the only other possibility I can think of?

No idea yet!

bluumz and Lucille.b like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No they really do look like this :dead:

bluumz and Lucille.b like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They might even be cuff buttons, if the posts are really thick. Ladies wore cuff fasteners too at one point, and shirt studs. I think they really are earrings though, old ones.

reader, KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

My favourite, very secure. I have some post earrings, but never wear them, because I have shoulder length hair. I do wear shepherd hooks, usually with those silicone backs.

KSW likes this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

That makes far more sense to me. I can’t buy those as earrings!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted