Featured Thoughts on what these bracelets are made from

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eils14, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I picked up a job lot of items and in it were these 4 bracelets. I am wondering what everyone thinks they might be made of and their age? None of them have the bakelite smell so I have ruled that out. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything with them.

Bracelet 1 - the elephant one - presuming just regular plastic? Has a mark where it joins up, see photo.

Bracelet 2 - white peacock one - presuming regular plastic but just checking?

Bracelet 3 - tortoiseshell like one - not too sure, could this be celluloid or some other material? Lots of lines on the inside of it, see photo.

Bracelet 4 - cream flower/ chrysanthemum = I have seen other ones which have this motif and are celluloid, does this seem likely?

TYIA for any help or advice you can give on these ones.

IMG_9110.jpg IMG_9112.jpg IMG_9113.jpg IMG_9114.jpg IMG_9115.jpg IMG_9119.jpg IMG_9120.jpg IMG_9117.jpg IMG_9118.jpg IMG_9116.jpg

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Celluloid for me, except the tortoiseshell that may be genuine. Don't try a hot pin test!!!:nailbiting:

komokwa, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.:)
    Ditto.:eek:

komokwa, Bronwen, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you, noted on the hot pin test, I wont try that! Is there any other kinder way to figure out if it is tortoise shell?

And do you think all the other 3 are likely celluloid or just bracelet 4 (cream flower one) which I identified as probably being made from that above?

Bronwen, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Stick a UV light on it.

id agree on celluloid.

Eils14, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted