Featured Thoughts on vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Sep 5, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I picked this up for ridiculously little money over the weekend. Came out of a fine estate with some really nice & expensive older things. Some very high end Asian and European antiques. I found a beautiful oxblood vase that was unfortunately badly damaged and then repaired on the rim. I recognized the mark as a high end European maker but couldn’t think of which one at that moment. I asked how much and was told the price was free! Only because I had bought some expensive things already I’m sure. Got it home to realize it was KPM. Real KPM, not a bad imitation. I’m considering having it cut down. I have no idea how much something like that costs in this day and age. I’m sure it is expensive but it may actually be worth it in this case. This white vase though is really striking in person. The incised decoration is lovely. It’s unmarked. The form and the way the rims are trimmed has me thinking Asian but I’m not totally confident about that. I did find some Chinese vases that had been lamped that resemble this form quite a bit. Could it be Dehua? I’d like to hear some opinions. It’s pretty large at 14” tall. Knowing what type of flower it is could be helpful. The prevalent stamen may be a giveaway. It’s not an area I’m great in. They don’t strike me the usual Asian contenders but maybe I’m wrong. A99FB5F8-E3E1-4DBF-9CA9-1F3494CD5960.jpeg 3C1B2079-EC54-4704-8EDB-359BFEB21FFE.jpeg DF1582AC-855D-4D7A-B2DD-A72C41945155.jpeg B17981DF-9A65-4672-8973-A2A1F524F705.jpeg 7D5FF548-40D6-43E1-8883-37F7CDEF1EBF.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cherry blossom or at a pinch, apple.

J Dagger and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

May be a Japanese quince
    IMG_6720.jpeg

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

the bottom unglazed foot rim makes me think Chinese like blanc-de-chine and possibly peony motif

5. Ownedbybear

Not peony, the leaves are totally wrong, as is that twisted branch. Paeonies are held above a crown of large leaves on soft stalks.

I don’t think Chaenomeles either, I grow those. Again, wrong leaves and stems.

J Dagger likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Lovely vase. At first I thought wild rose, but I think more a fruit tree flower like OBB said. Doesn't seem to be a particularly Asian base and foot rim, but I dunno. Good buy anyway!

J Dagger likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The leaves look more like an apple or a peach than anything else, but the flowers aren't apple or peach blossoms. Flowering quince it is.

J Dagger likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Nope, not quince/chaenomeles. Totally wrong stems and leaves.

J Dagger likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Show us the other vase too!

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted