Thoughts on this Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by goodgrief, Apr 26, 2023.

1. goodgrief

goodgrief Member

BBD4D00E-B78E-4C1B-A933-8B6CEF7BFA9D.jpeg 867917F5-B66B-4B37-BBA7-2E6BFF12D59D.jpeg I found this at a local thrift shop and was immediately attracted to it. It has no marking other than a small purple splotch on the bottom. It appears hand painted - all the white and blue dots are slightly raised. Lots of crazing and appears to have some age. Would appreciate the thoughts of the experts in the group.

Attached Files:

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It has some characteristics of Japanese "Satsuma" ware - the crackled glaze, and raised "moriage" decoration - but it has a new appearance. I suspect it may be a recent Chinese production in Satsuma style, similar to this one which the seller identifies as made in China.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/403210872255

In both instances, there may have been paper labels which have been removed. A vintage Japanese vase of this style I would expect to have an underglaze mark on the bottom.

Does your vase "ring" when tapped with your fingernail (indicating a high fired porcelain)? This would be another sign of it being a Chinese copy.

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. goodgrief

goodgrief Member

It does look very similar to this one. I gave it a few fingernail taps and I would not say that it "rings", more of a "thunk". I didn't expect this to be exceptionally old but there is a lot of expertise on this board who can point me in a good direction. I have been known to spend hours going down rabbit holes looking for answers. And for some reason all that research goes in and seems to spit back out again far to quickly. Thanks for your insight.

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Looks to be Japanese, a marriage of types between moriage and Satsuma. They can sometimes be inter-war but I suspect this one is probably post war, perhaps 1960's.

goodgrief, kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted