Thoughts on this Chinese Jade ring?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Dec 1, 2023.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I am looking at this ring at an antique store for $360 and I know nothing about jade. The ring is in amazing condition and the marking looks very old. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it worth $360? Any ideas?
    20231130_140353.jpg 20231130_140400.jpg 20231130_140409.jpg 20231130_140420.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I...personally would not spend any more than the gold melt weight on that poorly carved badly set ring...........:sorry::sorry:

IvaPan, Houseful, johnnycb09 and 6 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, it isn't, there is the setting issue komo mentioned. It looks like someone has been hacking away at the mount to remove the stone.
    The marking doesn't look old to me, it looks very crisp. And the use of the 14k mark is a fairly recent thing in China.
    With Chinese jewellery there is always the question if the gold or silver content is as marked.

It could have been made in Hongkong, but even then it is probably not older than 1970 or so.

IvaPan, kyratango, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

First character is 京 (Beijing), then 持代 Chi Dai - could be a name, or something like 'hold on to your generation' (doesn't translate well), or possibly even something to do with an official office (as in position/title).

14k gold is currently about $36 per gram, so that's the minimum it's worth (weight x $36), buying retail of course you would have to pay more, as no one is going to sell something for less they can get for melting it.

It looks to have a few knocks around the bezel, but the pics are showing it several times life size, so I'm guessing they don't look anyway near as obvious on the hand. The price you mention doesn't look at all bad for retail to me. You might want to have the metal checked though, as Any Jewellery mentioned Chinese pieces are not always honest with marks.

IvaPan, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

What they said. It looks like jade and gold. If you really like it and want to wear it, it's worth what you're willing to pay. If buying for resale, I wouldn't.

IvaPan, kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted