Featured Thoughts on age and makers marks on tie pin collection

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eils14, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I picked these items up in a job lot and as I do not know too much about tie pins I thought I would share them here and see if anyone knew more about their age, material and as a couple of them have a mark on them, what they might be for.

I am also wondering if the one with the gold pin and pearl is possibly made from real gold? It has a mark on it but I don't know what it represents. Also one of the tie pins (mother of pearl tooth shape) has an end on it which reads 'HOLD ON' with a patent number on it too, so I am wondering if this is a sentiment, like a sweetheart brooch might be? I don't have enough space to add close ups of a couple of them, one I think may be called a lover's knot but I am not sure of its age.

IMG_2504.jpg IMG_2506.jpg
    'HOLD ON' with patent number around the other side

IMG_2507.jpg IMG_2531.jpg
    Could the top part of this one be gold? The pin itself isn't. Not too sure what is happening with this one, as it is a bit odd to my eyes.

IMG_2514.jpg IMG_2515.jpg IMG_25302.jpg
    I am wondering if this could possibly be gold with real pearl. I am not sure what the mark on it means, any thoughts?

IMG_2518.jpg IMG_2519.jpg IMG_25252.jpg
    Any thoughts on the makers mark? This one seems a bit poorly with soldering on the back and I think it has had a gold outer layer which is only there in parts now but any thoughts welcome.

TYIA for any help and information you can give on the items above.

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

"Hold On" is the name of the clasp..... https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-pearl-stick-pin-hold-clasp-490579073

3. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Hollyblue, I never realised.....I see now that someone has somehow pushed the clasp up and then it got stuck.....so they put a new one on at the bottom! :facepalm:

Slightly sad though it is not a sentiment piece.... was imagining a sailor or someone giving it to his sweetheart while he went out to sea!! :hilarious::)

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I blew up the pearl one and I think I do see 4k,wich might have meant to have been 14 k. Is that 3rd from the right a snake ?

Eils14, judy and mirana like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Yeah show us the danger noodle!! :pompous:

Eils14 and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They probably didn't know how to get it off, those things are finicky. You have to pull the two parts in opposite directions, if I remember correctly.
    Did you test the pearl against your teeth? If it feels gritty when you rub it against your teeth it is a real pearl. If it feels smooth, it is an imitation.

Eils14, mirana, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I think it is a knot.

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

9. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I am hoping the 14k proves right and the pearl I think is gritty, so looking really hopeful on that one! :)

The one folk have been asking about is not a snake and I attach a photo of it below so you can see it properly, so any thoughts welcome. Do we think it is old?

Thank you so much @DragonflyWink you have solved for me what was a very mysterious piece! I see now I have part of a tie pin and a spiral shirt stud.....two for the price of one you could say! :joyful: I am wondering by the colour of it if gold is possible on the stud; I did buy an acid testing kit and while I think I am starting to understand the silver one, I am still not sure on the gold, may have to give it a try on it just in case!

IMG_2509.jpg IMG_2512.jpg IMG_2511.jpg

Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

We, AJ, think it is late 19th century.:playful:

Eils14 and mirana like this.
  11. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the age of the pin, much appreciated. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted