Featured Thoughts before I bid: Austria-Hungarian Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Aug 8, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I've come across this on eBay, starting bid is 85 euros. I wanted your thoughts on age and quality before considering bidding.

Pearls, garnets, and emeralds? 935 silver and stamped as such. The closed back, style, and stone setting make me think earlier than later, but were they stamping like this in the 19th century? The photos aren't great, but does the quality seem less than desirable as well? It seems the edges are rough and not as a stylistic choice. The description is one sentence describing it as Austria-Hungarian.

Thanks all! :D
    Screenshot_2024-08-08-18-03-40-849_com.ebay.mobile.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-08-18-03-48-157_com.ebay.mobile.jpg Screenshot_2024-08-08-18-04-01-387_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and RachelW like this.
  3. RachelW

:eek::eek: say it ain't so

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Either damage or poor construction on the pearl, upper left. I'd hesitate on this one at 85 Euros-- but full disclosure, I'm not an expert in AH jewelry.

johnnycb09, RachelW and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very charming pendant, Rachel, love the mythical bird-beasts and the natural pearls.:happy: I would bid on that too, but of course I won't, Antiquers ethics.;)
    It ain't so.:happy::joyful:
    It could be late AH-early Austrian, although the back isn't decorated. But it is certainly traditional European. It has a Florentine feel, which is a bit confusing.
    The Austrians used 935 silver as well, and although the colours of the stones are similar to Ottoman style jewellery, this isn't Turkish imo.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

johnnycb09, kyratango, Marote and 2 others like this.
  7. RachelW

Jeepers what a listing! Interesting, thank you AJ! I found a website that says 935 was used in Austria and Germany during the Art Deco period, which roughly correlates to your late AH-early Austrian estimate.

johnnycb09, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted