Thoughts as to date? country of origin..

Discussion in 'Art' started by OakandThistle, Mar 2, 2023.

1. OakandThistle

OakandThistle Member

I would appreciate any thoughts on this painting I’ve owned for 20 years. Purchased at a central Illinois antique store. Painting is 17” x 23” not including the frame which appears to be more recent than the painting. I just recently noticed what may be a signature at the center bottom … I read “GHM ??”. It is oil on canvas in brown tones with white highlights. The tacks holding the canvas on the ¾” thick stretchers appear to be irregular (handmade?) iThe scene shows a man tending several cows, men on horseback, a steep-pitched roof home. There is an abrasion at the rear of the cow.

Any thoughts on this painting are welcome: dating? When were paintings of this genre and color tones popular? Thoughts on signature? Thoughts on country of origin or geography of subject. European? Thanks in Advance. 82FC5BF7-C12A-4B24-BFED-7A0F5124F20E.jpeg 82FC5BF7-C12A-4B24-BFED-7A0F5124F20E.jpeg BCA7F0CA-D8C0-4AA9-B08D-928B0D406804.jpeg B9A495AF-AA91-4D70-8C25-AC9001B3782C.jpeg C77ABF41-D20B-4395-ABF9-808E7FA5C85F.jpeg 77939584-6EA6-4645-BA3F-CC937A60BBDA.jpeg 9E19CCEE-D061-413F-BF2C-5904D5042327.jpeg

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

I sure don't know. It looks to me slightly stylized and slightly primitive, and it's interesting that the animals have more detail on them than the people do. Look closely at the frame for clues, maybe research the hardware or ask a framer for thoughts.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Nice-Looks like a 19th Century regional genre painting to me.Perhaps copied from a Litho or from life-person could've been a farmer or drover.Looks like fodder (corn stalks) are spilling out of the wagon.
    OR-someone's Granny copied an old photo ? Stretcher looks pretty old w/ those staves in the corners.

Figtree3, OakandThistle and judy like this.
  4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Agreed the frame came later. Mitered joins are American. The nails, aging, and beveled edge are 19th century. Genre of this type was more mid-1800s but I can't say date for sure. Nice spotting the brush incized monogram...last letter could be "W" covered by frame? The style and the nail placement make this look more like a hobbiest artist than a noted one.

Figtree3, OakandThistle and judy like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Agree w/Mirana.Some of the texturing almost looks as if was done with a 'graining comb' -right above the signature,but could be actual wood grain or very dry brush).The combs were used to create wood grain texture in faux finishing.

Figtree3, judy and mirana like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The artist did seem to know cows better than people.

The keys in the corner of the stretcher are distinctive. They more often occur in pairs in each corner.

This reference provides a great deal of information on types of stretchers:
    https://www.conservation-wiki.com/w...storical_Review_of_Joint-Adjusting_Mechanisms

This one looks similar to what you have, and is described as late 19th century American:

stretcher with 1 key.jpg

ILLUSTRATION 21 Bridle joint with mitered tenon (variation) and key | Alternate: Slot mortise and mitered tenon joint
    BUCK Type 2c: Simple mortise, modified form (variation) with key | Reported occurrences: Felch, American, late 19th century
    NOTES: Single key in joint

Figtree3, OakandThistle and mirana like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And could the middle be a "U" instead of an "H"? What looks like a crossbar of an H also could be just part of the design of brushstrokes in that area of the painting.

Draft saved Draft deleted