Thomas B Griffin

Discussion in 'Art' started by FWIW, Nov 15, 2022.

1. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Found a painted gourd at thrift signed T GRIFFIN. Did a little research and there was a prolific artist out of the north east US by Thomas B Griffin. Looks like he mostly did impressionism oil on canvas nature stuff. Lived 1850s-1920ish.

Im just a little curious if this piece in a long shot might be from him. Mostly based on the signatures I find really match his signature on this gourd really well except for he usually signed "T B Griffin" and the gourd is just "T Griffin", but he wasnt consistent. Sometimes he used "Thomas B Griffin" sometimes TB Giffin with the B written on the T. Not found a single piece just T Griffin.

But how he wrote those letters really resemble his. Especially his Gs with the drooping down on the G.

Also another reason why its a long shot is not only can I not find him painting any gourds, the gourd I have isnt impressionist. Also I cant say for sure that this gourd is 100+ years old either, but nothing so far tells me it isnt.

Gourds were part of Americana art for the period w/ native Americans, but the animal is a giraffe which obviously isnt American scenery like TB Griffin normally did.

So its a long shot, but hoping anyone might know a little more about TB Griffin and if in a long shot this might be his.

Thanks in advanced. Pics following.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  2. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

3. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Im not really an art expert by any description, but I usually know when I see something decent and the piece just caught my eye as some proficiency behind it. Again I could be off base and it not be that great. I liked it either way.

Born2it likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This gourd is much more recent, and signed T Griffin. Griffin is a very common name, as are first names beginning with T.

I think it is an African souvenir, and given the British or Irish surname, probably from South Africa.
    So I'll tag @Boland for you. Also @KikoBlueEyes who visited SA recently and may have seen similar souvenirs.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    KikoBlueEyes and Bakersgma like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

We did very little shopping, mostly safaris so didn't see these.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Safaris are much more interesting than souvenir shopping.;)
    Maybe Boland recognizes it.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've not seen similar in South Africa but agree. Likely an attractive souvenir from there or somewhere with similar fauna.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

That was my initial thought, but the hand writting is so similar on the name is why I questioned it. The letters are dead on written the same. Exact match. Just for my own info, what makes you think its not that old?

Ill track down some of the rare times he signed with all caps print and show just so I dont look like a total wishful thinker lol

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if the leather rope is original....I'd peg this to the 1970's , or later..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

We've all been wishful thinkers at one time or another.;) Maybe this is one of those times.:shy::sorry:

Born2it likes this.
  11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Sorry,I can’t be of much help. The image certainly does looks like a typical african souvenir item for home decor. But I can’t recall seeing something exactly like it. The painting and decorating of kalbasse is a long standing practice and wildlife has always been a popular topic for tourist items (naturally)

The item does look like it has some age to it (I would have also guessed 70’s-80’s) Obviously with the signature its not a mass produced general african stall or curio market item. But maybe some amateur artist that painted/created his own souvenir? (Also just to add: I know nothing of about T Griffin signature match,history or anything)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted