This old KPM figurine, is it a Roman goddess (or god)?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Jan 3, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a youth.

Debora

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  3. sunday silence

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Seems androgynous at first glance, but when I look at the curves of the belly & thigh outlined by the sheer material of the shift, I have to think KPM intended the figure to be female. They have not given her any of the attributes that would clearly identify a goddess. The boyish look could mean they had Diana/Artemis in mind.

Curious about the figure at the Worthpoint link. Doesn't really have anything specific to Pluto/Hades. With the cornucopia filled with gold coins I could just as easily see it as King Midas. On the other hand, it does have a lot of similarity to this one, clearly labeled Pluto:

https://antiquekpmporcelain.com/ant...ain-figurine-porzellan-figur-figure-god-2.htm

I'm most struck by the difference in posture between the two, the way the heads are carried. Of course, if KPM says it's Popeye the Sailor, that's who it is.

kyratango likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wonder if the mark isn't imitative.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. sunday silence

Yea I am concerned about the mark for sure.but the one posted by Bronwen seems quite similar and the impressed number 38 also seems similar

Bronwen likes this.
  7. sunday silence

Does anyone have any more thoughts on the mark itself? Its not matching the marks I see in the data base I subscribe to but that's not the last word.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted