Featured THIS is SMALL, but have wondered about it since a friend gave it to me

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aquitaine, May 22, 2023.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

About 25 or SO years ago! 2 1/2 inch diameter and 1 3/4 inch high, signed marked NM on the bottom.....just a sweet little pot.....any information greatly appreciated.....do you think it's a tourist piece? Any idea "whose" work, roughly??? Thank you so much!! Oh, and only after editing ALL 4 sides did I see, they're all pretty much the same!!!! DUHH!:rolleyes::smuggrin:

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

cxgirl, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a painted seed pot from Jemez Pueblo. My understanding is that they really had no tradition of pottery making historically. They began making painted tourist pottery for income. The color is applied rather than fired slip or burnished designs as done by most Pueblo tribes. Older pieces used poster paint that was not waterproof. This looks more like an oil or acrylic based paint on this.

cxgirl, 2manybooks, Bronwen and 7 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thank you Brad, NICE to get some information on it!!!

cxgirl, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

A pretty little pot!

cxgirl, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve got a wee pot like this, bought in Jemez many years ago.

6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Gregory Schaaf, in his book "Southern Pueblo Pottery, 2000 Artist Biographies," says that "R. Sando" is the signature of Roberta Sando, Jemez potter active from 1976 to present. (The book was published in 2002.)

She was born in 1952. and is the sister of Diane Sando (who is known for her storytellers.)

It's well-done, but still made for the tourist market. Jemez potters adopted acrylic paints for their inexpensive tourist pots as soon as they appeared on the market, a period in the 1970s that Allan Hayes calls marked when "the lowest forms of lowest-common-denominator tourist pottery emerged." This is one of the better pieces, in that the eventual flaking and peeling of the acrylic paint hasn't taken place.

In the last 20 years or so, Jemez Pueblo potters, led by Mary Small and the Fragua family, have changed the reputation, and Jemez is becoming known for producing quality work.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My little pot is a bit flaky. Signed K W Jemez.

bercrystal likes this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry! Schaaf didn't say that about the low point in Jemez pottery, Allan Hayes did in his book "Southwestern Pottery, Anasazi to Zuni." I don't know how that happened, unless I was still half asleep.

Thankfully, I could still edit the post, which I did. But for those who saw the mistake, and didn't mention it, I do apologize. And now at least it's not going to be on the internet FOREVER!

komokwa, kentworld, dgbjwc and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted