This is kind of cool

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kasperscuriosities, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

This came out of my parents old house. This house was listed with the historic society and had a marker. I can't remember all the details but many famous people had stayed there including a president. It was named the Turner Home after the family that built it. Unfortunately the house burned down but they were able to salvage a few items. Originally there were two of these cherubs they hung on each side of the fireplace if I remember correctly.

I am going to get some better pictures of this thing but it was kind of hard to photograph cause it is heavy and really is just meant to stay on the wall. It is a light fixture with a crystal or glass globe on top. The angel is made out of brass (I think) it could be something else, not really positive. It is super heavy. I just thought it was a neat piece to share with you guys.
    [​IMG]

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>...cherubs... <

Cherub that isn't. I think of a cherub as "chubby, healthy-looking child with wings.,... beautiful or innocent-looking child." Think of chubby cupid. With that front, that's a winged half naked adult woman, angel. I take it this is a sconce. With the absence of a font it is probably a brass or bronze "gas lamp wall sconce figural fixture winged angel."

>I am going to get some better pictures...<

Try to get a picture looking straight on, not looking up at.

--- Susan

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

4. Kasperscuriosities

Ha ha! Ya you're right that is not a cherub. LOL! I never really paid attention to that. LOL. Thanks for the site interesting. She is not a mermaid. I don't think. I think it is just a robe that flows. It's pretty big. The angel alone is around a foot tall maybe more.

I will definitely get some better pictures.

I imagine it was gas at one time and then converted to electric but come to think of it I don't think it has any electrical on it. I don't think I have ever seen it lit up. Now I am all curious. Ugh I have to get back over there.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Gosh that's a beautiful piece! :)

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Gorgeous to say the least and love the history on your parents home. Too bad it burned down.:arghh:

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

What is the natural habitat of winged mermaids?

8. spirit-of-shiloh

The storm clouds of course.

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

10. Kasperscuriosities

Thanks everyone. I talked to my dad about this piece and found out a few things. It is electric. He said he thinks it has always been electric but he said he really isn't sure. He also said that it wasn't hanging in that house. They found it in the crawl space when they bought the house and they hung it by the fireplace but he did believe it was original to the house. The house was built in 1918 I think is what he said so this most likely from that era. Unfortunately the other was lost in the fire so this is the only one that he has left. I am pretty sure it is bronze he said the globe is crystal.

11. Kasperscuriosities

My parents had a thing for old houses. They enjoyed restoring them. They ran a bed and breakfast for several years that was an old Victorian style hotel. It's still there. It's is called the Woodbine Hotel and is located in Madisonville, Texas.

They sold it a long time back. The new owners went with a real country western theme. I have been back a time or two but it is not the same at all. That is why they have so much Victorian stuff. Most of it was from the hotel.I think I have some pictures of it somewhere. It was really cool.

We had all our high school dances there and I was married to my first husband there. The wedding was beautiful the marriage ehh not so much. LOL! Let me see if I can find the pictures of it.

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Photo of back flat side would probably reveal something. Please always post dimensions. May be plated spelter.

13. Kasperscuriosities

Yeah I will measure it when I get more photos.

14. Kasperscuriosities

I know I have photos of the woodbine somewhere but I can't find them on my computer right now. Here are a couple of pictures of how it sits now. It was all white when my parents owned it.

Attached Files:

15. Kasperscuriosities

Darn it. Let's try that again. BRZ-site-WoodbineHotelMadisonville.jpg front.jpg

16. spirit-of-shiloh

WOW! I would LOVE to live in a house like that :)

PS
    I like the mint green on it :cat:

17. Kasperscuriosities

It has 15 or so bedrooms with private baths. A bar and a full resturant but it would make a awesome house. :) We had some good times there. That is for Sure.

18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow a beautiful place but I'd need a full staff of servants there! :)

19. Kasperscuriosities

Exactly. Cleaning times 15. It was run pretty much like any hotel. They had to have a whole crew of maids and whatnot. They also hosted a lot of weddings and things. They loved it but it was a lot of work with no breaks. They had fun with it though.

antidiem likes this.
  20. Kasperscuriosities

It was built in 1908 and if I remember correctly it was two "kit houses" that were put together and it was run as a boarding house. It was said to have been a house of ill repute at one point as well. I don't know if that is true or not but that was the story. The original owners husband died during the construction and then her son stepped on a nail and got tetanus and also died before it was completed. It had a rough start to say the least. I think the original owners names were Shaprio.

Draft saved Draft deleted