This chair has me stumped!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by drkatherine1, May 1, 2016.

1. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

My husband and I are going through a huge estate that he inherited. I am the researcher so my job is to help him with finding out all the info on hundreds and hundreds of items. 90% of the time I am able to get info on most items. However, I have researched this chair and I can't find anything that is similar to it. The odd thing is that the legs are not straight like most of the bentwood chairs. The legs on this chair are made out of one bentwood piece that goes from front to back with a brace attached. I would appreciate any info that you might have.

Attached Files:

Bakersgma and cxgirl like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Wow! That's oh so Danish Modern. If it's not Eames, probably one of those Scandinavian designers.

3. lauragarnet

Did you look underneath for any maker's marks, country marks, code numbers, etc...?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it may help to know where the chair is located...or where it may have come from.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not one I am familiar with. My guess would be European in origin as well.

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I Googled "bentwood contour chair" just to see if anything jumped out at me. It didn't. But I must say... I've never seen a more eccentric assortment of sittables. Yours fits right in! :)

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

These are other companies that also made similar chairs. Herman Miller, Poul Jeppeson, Denmark, Thonet.

8. lauragarnet

I finally honed it down to bent plywood chairs last night and still didn't find anything close to this chair.

There has to a word or term that describes those dowels in the chair construction. I'd assume they provide stability/structural integrity.

I was surprised to find out that the sleek bentwood style was done in Europe as early as 1930s-1940s, as Brad mentioned above.

I hope drkatherine1 will come back and let us know if there's any info on the bottom of the chair.:)

9. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

Laura,
    I have examined the chair and there are no markings whatsoever. I am with you with regard to the unusual legs on this chair. The dowels are used as a spacer and support. The rivets....I guess that is what they are go through them. If the dowels were not there you would plainly see the metal tubes of the rivets. This way the dowels hid them. This is what makes the chair so unusual is the base being made up of bentwood which forms the legs.

lauragarnet likes this.
  10. lauragarnet

Could you flip it over and post a pic of the bottom? There are people here who can read the hardware (rivets), LOL!

11. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

Laura here is the only other photo I currently have. It does show rivets. The chair is not at my house. I will have to get another close photo the next time I am at the house.

Attached Files:

cxgirl and lauragarnet like this.
  12. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

I just wanted to tell everyone....thanks for being so welcoming. I have spent almost every evening since January researching the shear volume of items in this house. At times it is overwhelming but it needs to be done. Even if I don't figure out what this dang chair is....oh there is so much more furniture to figure out.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

cxgirl and lauragarnet like this.
  14. nology

nology Active Member

Wow I've seen a lot of bent plywood chairs but that is definitely a rare fine! Curious to know who made it.

lauragarnet likes this.
  15. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

You and me both...I took some photos of the rivets and will post them later but no obvious markings on either side.

lauragarnet likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

lauragarnet likes this.
  17. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

WOW, Debora... a search for "bent plywood" yields some amazing things... like this...
    1951 - Andre Bloc.

csm_Bellevue_Bloc_01_2ecf647cf3.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  18. drkatherine1

drkatherine1 New Member

Nope not there....I had seen all their photos because they were in Google images....nothing there.

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted