Thick blown glass vase. Opinions, please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Jul 8, 2023.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_6923.jpeg IMG_6926.jpeg IMG_6927.jpeg IMG_6928.jpeg IMG_6925.jpeg
    Howdy all,
    I’m stumped. I don’t think this is a Target or Walmart piece. Maybe studio? It’s really thicker than any other piece I’ve handled other than some of those really thick Murano pieces. What say ye?

Cased? Pontil but the bottom is not polished. The foot is applied and not uniform in shape. Hmm.
    Thank you for any help

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@gauntlettgems, that is about the strangest bottom I think I've seen so far, and I have NO CLUE, what it may mean OR if anyone else sees what I'm seeing.....Posting 2 images....first one just has no outlines but tried to bring out the colors a bit...... second one I've circled what I'm seeing......

IMG_6925-B.jpg

Here, top rectangle looks like something's written, but waaay to small, even enlarged to see, below to the left a half circle tipping towards the right with like a triangle sticking up out of it, and lastly, what looks like to me, an upper 3/4 of a cat (or rat) angled towards the left and looking at us! And no, I'm not drinking anything!!:joyful::smuggrin: I know it looks strange!!!! Plus of course is the larger right facing head with like a pixie hat on....which I didn't need to outline--looks like a feather sticking out of the side of the hat....and I couldn't make ANY of it any clearer than it is.......OH, and I meant to say, I think the rest of the vase looks pretty cool with the coloring!!!

IMG_6925-C.jpg

Figtree3 and gauntlettgems like this.
  3. gauntlettgems

I’m gonna wash it up and see if anything jumps out at me. I see what you’re saying

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Actually, TODAY I just looked.....and see that cat/rat as sitting......strange how daylight can change a little what's seen!! PLUS, you're gonna kill me.... I think I cut off the front part of a BIRD when I said a "half circle"!!!!! LOOK at the UN-MARKED one above....or I can re-post with it correctly showing!

gauntlettgems likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am seeing a lot similar showing up in the thrift stores. I think modern and Chinese in origin. Bottoms are usually ground smooth. Your vase's pontil scar may have been particularly deep and did not get ground down enough to obliterate it.

Figtree3 and gauntlettgems like this.
  6. gauntlettgems

Ok x I was thinking it was a little better than their stuff. Thank you

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There’s some very very good glass coming from China.

Figtree3 and verybrad like this.
  8. gauntlettgems

I know but I guess my brain won’t wrap itself around that. Lol

verybrad and Ownedbybear like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted