Featured They sparkle and shine but I have no idea what they are...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Shelley Lawson, Mar 6, 2020.

1. I mean, I know what they are...just not, well, what they are. Has anyone seen this type of jewelry before? A couple things from my view...there are no markings of any kind, not even on the chain. The shell/pearl (?) of the larger pendant has a hole at the top and lastly, they are made solid/heavy almost like the gold was pounded out with a hand tool. No clue of the age, or where it came from, or whether it's real or not. As always, I would really appreciate hearing what you all think of it. -S

2 sets.jpg 2 pendants.jpg 2 lg pendant.jpg 2 lg pendant back.jpg 2 rings.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The large pendant looks like nautilus shell.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WHATEVER!!!!.....VERY PRETTY!!!!!:happy::happy::happy:

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Test them for gold - they sure look like they could be Indian hi-karat gold

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Lovely Indeed !!! ... Joy. :)

scoutshouse and Shelley Lawson like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded. The color combination is pure Indian traditional, and the set was made like it's made of gold. It might even be a wedding set. I'm not expert enough to know for sure.

8. It definitely favors the Indian jewelry for sure! Did they give jewelry for other reasons...like the birth of a child? Just curious since there is 2 sets.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Stones look like genuine gems and the pieces are clearly hand-crafted. Great finds!

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    To quote @i need help "ZOIKS!"

They did come from somewhere... How did they come to be in your hands?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

TEST, please!

Not just metal, but gems, too.

Jeweler.

12. Next time I head to the jeweler, I'll take them with me...inquiring minds :)

I got them from an auction. Here is another set that I won at the same time. I didn't think much about it because of the strings, and it has some missing stones that aren't set as nicely. It's all really beautiful.

Attached Files:

KSW, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Wow! Great finds! I love that necklace!!
    Leslie

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Indian (India) wedding jewellery, always very beautiful. They make them in gold and gemstones, and costume replicas, depending on how deep the family's pockets are.;)
    One of the pieces is a forehead decoration. The small chain with the hook goes over the forehead and the hook is hooked into the hair.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    bercrystal and KSW like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The costume stuff gets called Bollywood jewelry sometimes. I have a few pieces myself; it's fun. (and I can't afford the real Moghul enamel and high karat gold.)

Draft saved Draft deleted