The So-Called "Vampire Table" - Help IDing please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by LuceraMill, May 3, 2017.

1. LuceraMill

LuceraMill New Member

Hello all,

I don't know much about antiques but my curiousity has driven me to this board because my fiance and I recently purchased a dining table set and matching hutch for next to nothing that is unusual, to say the least. I've had a lot of people call this a "vampire table" in passing, though upon closer inspection it actually has carved lions and castle turrets, depending on which chair you are looking at. The table also has these lions and turrets when viewed from below, as does the matching cabinet.

I have tried to look up the chairs to figure out what time period they are modeled after exactly, if any, and though I can find many high-backed chairs, I can't seem to find the exact style that these model.

I love its quirkiness and hope to refinish it and possibly even reupholster it at some point to bring it back to its former glory, however, I have very little to model it on.

Any guesses on a time period or style would be helpful in IDing it. Just trying to figure out if its a quirky one-of-a-kind no-particular-style piece, or modeled after anything else.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I can see a grand Halloween party in your future..!

cxgirl, judy and Rayo56 like this.
  3. LuceraMill

LuceraMill New Member

Ain't that the truth! :-P

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very cool ---- 1970s Spanish revival meets brutalist. I would look to CA or Mexico for maker but really have no idea.

Heironymous, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hang in there. I bet we have a few somebodies here who will diagnose it for you.

Meanwhile, Vampire Table it is! LOVE the red velvet fabric...

P.S. What Brad said!

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Spanish Colonial Gothic Bordello at its.... finest..? Late 60s anyway. There's a market for it, but I think it's all on the West Coast. It looks like something the director of Dark Shadows would have bought.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Had to laugh. You should have seen the set my BIL's brother bought. It was like that set only with more "carving" and red and black zebra stripe seats. It was too damn big for the dining room and half of it was in the kitchen area. When people tried to sit at the table there was no room to pull a chair out. Everyone had to slide down the chairs to get to their place. big guys like me had to sit on the ends since there was no pulling the chairs out and reseating. I always thought it was Italian but it could have been Spanish.
    greg

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My relatives in Miami are drooling with envy! I think Mexico is dead on. Its certainly unique. If you reupholster,it MUST be in red velvet !:)

judy likes this.
  9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

It does look like some furniture you see on telenovelas, when they're going for high drama, mystery, sinister situations.

judy likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Speechless.

Debora

judy likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In its own weird way, it's pretty spectacular.

judy likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Absolutely. As Lady Hamilton purportedly said, "So much taste and all of it so bad."

Debora

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  13. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

GREAT set up to play Ouija on!! The board game, candles, red wine in Gothic goblets, what could go wrong??

judy likes this.
  14. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

LOL!!!

judy likes this.
  15. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Medieval Times Baronial ! Now get some flagons, trenchers and smelly tallow candles...Good Times !

judy likes this.
  16. LuceraMill

LuceraMill New Member

Wow! Thank you all for your replies and insights. I appreciate you all taking the time to give your thoughts. It's interesting hearing some of the influences this set may take after. It's a unique piece to say the least. I'm sure it has a story. That tends to be what draws me to stuff like this! I will have to some photos once we get it settled into the house in all its glory! :-P

judy, Lucille.b and yourturntoloveit like this.
  17. LuceraMill

LuceraMill New Member

Perhaps! But a home should be full of things that make the owner happy, even if that isn't necessarily what other people like. It doesn't have to bring other people joy, it just has to bring ME joy! :)

cxgirl, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

El Chapo called and he wants his dining room set back. Or else.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How about the lions and castles being an homage to Ferdinand and Isabella?

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it is. Coat of arms on table base variation of theirs merged. Castle representing kingdom of Castile, Lion kingdom of León and stripes kingdom of Aragón. A close-up photograph would be helpful.

Debora

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted