The Portland Vase - Please Help Dating The Piece

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jazzs Treasures, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Jazzs Treasures

Jazzs Treasures New Member

Looking for more information on this piece.

Information on how to date this piece.

Maker - Wedgwood?

Attached Files:

jeasta likes this.
  2. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

It looks like it is based on Wedgwood jasperware but isn't Wedgwood quality. It also doesn't have their maker's mark. Someone else might know who did make it.

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Absolutely not Wedgwood quality, it doesn't even look like real jasperware but rather some sort of clay pottery painted blue.
    A low quality decorative wannabe of THIS piece, and probably not very old. The holes in the bottom are odd! And I can't think why there would be figural decoration on the bottom, too...?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    komokwa, Marote, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  4. Jazzs Treasures

Jazzs Treasures New Member

Wedgwood spent 4 years at trials at duplicating the vase. He had problems with his copies ranging from blistering, cracking and reliefs lifting during the firing. 1970 Wedgwood perfected his technique. Victoria and Albert Museum have examples of his work during this time.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is always helpful if you tell us everything you know, or suspect, about an object when you post. It saves us from spending time repeating research you may have already done.

komokwa and Marote like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto,it helps us help you when you share your knowledge Jazz !

7. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

To enjoy it upstairs and downstairs in a home with a glass floor ... :D
    upload_2024-4-17_0-25-26.png

bluumz and komokwa like this.
  8. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Haha I love it!!!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think the 3 little holes on the bottom are where it sat on a tripod over a mirror. The piece on the bottom, which looks like it could be from a scene of the Judgment of Paris, makes no sense in that position or in connection with the 2 other scenes. Think most repros do without it so the piece can sit flat.

Wedgwood put together a whole monograph on the various interpretations of the imagery; there's no agreement. One side looks to me to be clearly Eurydice reaching out to Orpheus as the venom rises in her body while Hades bides his time on the other side of the frame. No one has come up with a convincing interpretation of the other side of the vessel.

It's my personal opinion that the whole piece is a Renaissance fraud.

Draft saved Draft deleted