Featured The only antique&collectable I regularly buy in my country...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shamster, Sep 14, 2024 at 6:35 AM.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

I believe these qualify for antique as many of them are millions years old! And we have a well aged tradition of collecting them. Also,I feel relieved buying them, as the fakes are so easily recognizable.

Do you know what these are or do you have similar stuff where you are? ;) 1.jpg

glassluv, mirana, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

redacted!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2024 at 8:14 AM
    komokwa and shamster like this.
  3. shamster

haha thank you for the tag :joyful: tho I know what these are, just want you to have some guess or discussion!

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hahaha, gotcha. I'm pulling the tag :)

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Tumbled pieces of agate & jasper, perhaps Sardinian. That or Roman glass. :D

shamster likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Do the terms 'tumbled' an' 'river rock' have equivalency? Could those beautiful stones have been found in or near a stream or river, naturally smoothed by their down-slope journey? A few of those appear to be possibly volcanic glass...to my unskilled eye.

7. Bronwen

Tumbling is doing artificially, in a rotating drum with water & abrasive, what water can do over time.

shamster, wlwhittier and kyratango like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

heh...the gal beat u to it !!...

nice rocks though..

shamster likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I see mostly jasper and agate chunks. Good for putting in a bowl and looking pretty.

shamster and Bronwen like this.
  10. wlwhittier

Yes...understood, Bronwen. Thanks!

shamster and Bronwen like this.
  11. shamster

Yes correct, they are mostly agates, but they are untreated as only natural ones fetch good price ( though one of mine is polished, a mistake, but still pretty!). And they are all found in a specific area in China where we used to have volcano.

You are absolutely correct :joyful: natually washed stones would have a specific texture on their surface, to help you not to be ripped off by dishonest dealers!

This is how they look like once out of water, so they have to be in a bowl or plate, underwater. :happy:
    2.jpg

12. shamster

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. wlwhittier

That's an unusual turn of phrase...if you used to have a volcano, you still do. Perhaps your meaning is that you have a dormant volcano...no longer active, or historically so?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. shamster

Yeah haha, should be, as never heard of anything new from there!

wlwhittier likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I found this ceramic ashtray full of polished stones at our Gift House (free stuff) at the transfer station. It makes a pretty decorative item, but certainly not worth much. Anyone can polish stones but I wouldn't call them antique!

IMG_5583.jpeg

kentworld and komokwa like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I used to live in Australia, and spent a lot of time in Scotland, so yes, I have seen agate and jasper river pebbles before. Also from volcanic regions, after all they have to start somewhere.;)

17. shamster

My stones are roughly 40 pounds each in average. The most expensive one was the pale one in the middle, bought at 70 pounds. And the most prized and rarest ones in China could go to million. It is actually hard to tell tho, if someone living in 200 hundred years ago have collected and adored a specific one, then passed it down by generations, that one would seem more acceptable to be called an antique!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is a beauty, almost like it glows.:happy:

20. Bronwen

That one looks like it formed as a geode, then had some erosion to a side, revealing the structure within.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted