Featured The one that got away...

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bosko69, Jun 9, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Driving back from the market yesterday & saw my local teensy thrift was open (very sporadic hours). It's run by a mom & daughter to benefit sex traffic & drug abuse victims-very legit run by honest folks.
    This is at the front counter.
    I'm dumbstruck-they get so-so costume jewelry & old clothes,but this !?
    Hmmm...'How much ?' I ask the Daughter.She thinks for a few seconds and says '-A hundred ?'.....!!!!!
    '-that sounds reasonable....' i say,quietly hyperventilating.
    Then after a few minutes she says-'I'd better call Mom and see if she wants to keep this as a display shelf'....'OK'....'Mom says she wants to look at it again-give us your phone number & we'll give you dibs on it,if we sell it.'
    ......and there ya go-end of story.There will be scores of picker/dealers rumbling thru the shop by the time,if ever,they decide to sell,and i seriously doubt i'll be offered it for $100.
    ...ah well-they're good people with pure hearts,and there ends the tale.

ETAGERAE'.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hate dealing with intermediaries but what can you do? Maybe find out when the mother will be there and go back.

kyratango, Lucille.b, stracci and 5 others like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Not so fast! Th' tale has hooks all over it that project potential into the future...your future, bosco!
    Methinks you've abandoned hope, an' it's much too early for that. Patience, good sir...

kyratango, Lucille.b, stracci and 5 others like this.
  4. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

This one's coming up for auction in 12 days in New Jersey. Starting price is only $50 with an estimate of $100-$200. VicStand.jpg

kyratango, Lucille.b, Boland and 7 others like this.
  5. bosko69

Thanks for the tip Nate.
    Most of the one's i'm finding online are going for $750-$3000,but-there are many,many auction sites out there that have produced some spectacular deals.
    I've seen some sold prices on Icollector & Invaluable that have been jaw-dropping cheap. But shipping inside/outside the US can equal (& exceed) purchase price + 20%-30% auction house commission+VAT for some pieces.
    We only shop for items within a 4-5 hour drive/pickup window (but they still have that danged commission).
    PS-Whit,thanks for the pep-talk amigo.I will say whatever happens,these 2 ladies are 'babes in the woods', pure of heart & i wish 'em well.They def don't know their antiques !

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    kyratango, Born2it, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not my speed, but that open door would have set my heart racing too!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

More of an etagere than a plant stand, but of course it could be used for that, too. 1890s. Very nice, and should bring more than $50 or $100. Many times those dollar figures are deliberately undervalued to make the auction house look good to prospective clients when the goods end up going higher. And yes, add in shipping, buyers premiums and tax. You could save all that if the ladies would sell you the etagere for $300. Everyone’s a winner!

kyratango, Lucille.b and Figtree3 like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just yesterday I had a ferocious battle with myself to not splash out $200 on a stunning Japanned secretary ! It was in Hoodwill,in absolutely pristine condition and oh how I wanted it. I even called my brother who lives near it to see if he would come help me get it home.It weighed a ton and screamed quality. But it was at least 9 feet high and 5-6 feet wide.Id have made room for it nonetheless ! The upper part had beveled glass no less . I almost went back today but I just will plotz if its gone (and you know it is!)

kyratango, judy, Lucille.b and 5 others like this.
  9. bosko69

Yep-i don't live in a Victorian,so if i bought it ,i'd probably consign it.Unfortunately selling it online would be a sure profit-but packaging & shipping something this large & heavy seem like they'd be a royal pain !
    Tons & tons of folks do sell heavy,antique furniture online-i guess they've got some kind of system that's simplified the whole thing.
    Your secretary sounds stunning Johnny.Did you happen to get a pic of it ? Even if you couldn't keep it ( and $200's still $200),sounds like you could easily double your money.
    PS-Aside from 'Local Pickup Only',has anyone here got regular experience shipping furniture ?

judy, Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. johnnycb09

Im heading over there in a few and if its still there im BUYINg it !

kyratango, judy, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  11. bosko69

Best of luck Johnny ! Pictures please.

kyratango, judy, stracci and 2 others like this.
  12. johnnycb09

13. evelyb30

Oh well. at least 1st Dibs is disgustingly overpriced.

KylieS and judy like this.
  14. johnnycb09

Indeed,but its the beauty of it that hurts worse. I thought it might be 50s-60s.Damn me and my cheapskate ways !

15. evelyb30

Oh well. I hope whoever bought it appreciates it and doesn't paint the poor thing.

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  16. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Dammit @johnnycb09 , we keep telling you to strike while the iron is hot!
    When the hair on the back of your neck stands up, you must immediately pay, or forever have remorse

kyratango, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  17. evelyb30

Or as I say, when your fingers itch or the bells in your head start chiming.

kyratango, Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. johnnycb09

I even went so far as to take the tag and head to the front . Since I have a small cabinet and several screens that matched it would have fit in perfectly. Thats it,Im renouncing my cheap skate ways ! next time Im buying it ,whatever it is ! Act in haste,repent in leisure . :hilarious:

kyratango, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  19. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Several years ago I walked into the thrift store and a big red Chinese moon cabinet was just sitting there waiting for me, $200.
    I foolishly didn't buy it, I don't remember why . Later that night, I got hives just thinking about it sitting there in the store and how I might die if someone else bought it.
    Next day I had to go to work early, but I pulled out the cash from a recent yard sale, and sent hubby and the neighbor over to get it when the store opened at 10 am. Luckily it was still there.
    Now, I just fork over the money when I see something I like.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    kyratango, judy, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  20. johnnycb09

Now I hate my poor little cabinet Ive had forever ! See how lovely that secretary would have fit in?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kyratango, judy, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted