Featured The mysterious origin of our China Hutch

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by aawlberninf350, Feb 20, 2022.

1. aawlberninf350

aawlberninf350 New Member

Hi All!

Anybody familiar with this style of furniture? We are curious about the origin of one of our favorite objects.

We bought it circa 1996 from Red Hen Antiques (iirc) near Petaluma, CA. We saw it on sale for $1400 on Valentines day, but passed. A week or two later we could not forget it and at our urging the shop called the owner who agreed to accept our offer of the V Day sale price.

It is 3 pieces, the top box with glass, the middle shelf portion with the columns, and the bottom box. The glass is replaced but the hardware appears original. One drawer pull needed a nut on the back but the other is the original old nut. It was missing the interior shelves so I got some red oak planks that looked nice. My recollection is "Paris" was stamped on the lock mechanism, but when taking these pics I could not find it. The wood is beautiful, quarter sawn. No idea is finish is original but seems unlikely as it's in good shape.

One reason I found it interesting as the carving is obviously made using machine tools, but by hand. There is a missing cut along the scroll work near the top, in the center.

Fun story; at the time my Mother was dating a man who worked at LLNL, pretty senior in the security dept. He and his crew were unable to make a skeleton key for it. :D

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the pics. Any info would be appreciated. I have more pics but having trouble uploading them.

full front 1.jpg Drawer side r 2.jpg drawer pull 2.jpg top R inside.jpg China hutch top side.jpg top lock front 3.jpg

full front 1.jpg full front 1.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  3. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it’s from Mexico. Very pretty.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's very exuberant but... I would very much doubt it's Mexican.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Tons of personality ! Just a thought,but to me it looks like a plain cabinet someone decided to gussy up by carving on it. I think that was a trend around 1900 or so. Id guess its European in origin,maybe German ?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is oak and I agree with an early 20th century date. I think European in origin. Suppose it could be French but thinking more likely Belgian, Dutch, or German.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not Dutch or Belgian. I would look further east, maybe Poland?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. aawlberninf350

Thanks for all the replies!

Exuberant is a great word for it. Aside from a few flat side panels that show off the wood grain the surfaces are worked by machine. Like a meth head with a shop full of power tools just wigged out on it all weekend.

No expert on this all, but the sense of style is hard to pin down. Some of the little circles carved above the taller grooves on the bottom doors and along the top panel dimly resemble halos from Christian iconography. Or maybe that's just me. And the scrolling on the drawers feels like Empire. Plus it's very abstract with no naturalistic elements.

It's just fun to look at. :)

Darkwing Manor and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Somebody had a good time making that. Possibly a one-off custom piece, which explains why it's so hard pinning it down. I might even think South American immigrant work , but that's just a wild guess.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Koloman Moser. Vienna Secession/Wierner Werkstätte bookcase. 1903. Same exuberance but a (much) more sophisticated execution.

Debora

431f454a6bf3271bf8cb991f7db3ab30-koloman-moser-albert-museum_orig.jpg

johnnycb09 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. evelyb30

Oh my. Now that's a statement piece.

johnnycb09 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. aawlberninf350

I pulled a drawer out partially (stuffed with cutlery) and found the sides and bottom are also quarter sawn, but apparently unstained.

So if I wanted a key made do I go to a locksmith or an antique shop?

13. evelyb30

It's probably more of a latch than a lock, so a skeleton key is all you'll need. I'd imagine buying a few antique keys and trying to see what works would be the way to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted