The Mustached Mystery

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by C. J. Colligan, Nov 8, 2016.

1. C. J. Colligan

C. J. Colligan conjuring_the_past

I have a few photos that I plan to add here to the Ephemera Board, right now, this photo interests me because I have no idea what it says! Maybe someone here can help me figure out where this was taken and what language it's in? I'm assuming Germany, maybe? But first you'll have to decipher the handwriting!

I believe the postcard is addressed to:
    "Mari Klink
    558 W. 51 St.
    New York"
    ???

moustach2.jpg moustachb.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The last line in the address is "Amerika." ;)

The stamps are from Austria. Whoops! Not Austria, Germany as you suspected.

KingofThings and C. J. Colligan like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't know very much German, and even less can I read the handwriting. However, I believe the first two words are "Liebe Schwester" which means "Dear Sister." And the last word appears to be Hans, which might be the first name of the person in the photo?

4. Bakersgma

Now I'm not so sure again. The "return" address in the message section appears to be Innsbruck and the stamps seem to say Deutchosterreich - which would be Austria. The denominations of stamp value are in Heller and Kronen.

5. Bakersgma

C J - Does it look to you like the handwritten date is 1921?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

7. C. J. Colligan

Yes, now that I'm able to look a little more closely at it, I do think the year written may be 1921!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. C. J. Colligan

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Figtree3

I also wanted to mention that the photo looks like an older style carte-de-visite (CDV) photo but it also appears to have address lines printed on the back as if it were a postcard. What is the size of this, and is the photo printed on a piece of paper that is glued onto a card? I know that in Europe the CDV size was used well into the 20th century, much later than it was in use in the United States. But the oval framing around the head is what I meant by the older style.

10. C. J. Colligan

OH MY GOODNESS. I'm so embarrassed, I just realized I made a mistake in uploading my images. I scanned this photograph a few months ago and labeled it "mustache" and the back "mustacheb". Turns out I got the front image confused because I have another image labeled "mustache2".

moustach.jpg
    This image goes with the postcard back! Thank you for asking me to measure the size so I could check it out. The postcard is 13.5 centimeters x 8.5 centimeters.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

C. J. Colligan likes this.
  12. evelyb30

Come to think, it was done in the US during the War because of rationing. They couldn't get photographic paper but could print postcards, so.... I have one around somewhere of my grandfather in his WWI uniform. It wasn't mailed, as most weren't.

Bakersgma and C. J. Colligan like this.
  13. Figtree3

I'm glad I asked, too! That explains a lot.

C. J. Colligan likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

This second guy with the blond moustache is Hans from Austria? Does look much more Germanic than the first picture.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Are you sure this (second) dude actually HAS a mustache? It looks drawn on to me!!!!!!! Oh, my worn out eyesight..................

16. Bakersgma

Didn't the Kaiser have one like that?

17. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Yeah, but HE didn't look like a Fascist Youth Recruiting poster...............

18. evelyb30

This guy looks like he shouldn't have bothered trying.

Draft saved Draft deleted