Featured The lost appreciation of the skills involved.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I'm convinced that society is losing the ability to appreciate the skill and effort
    put into many of the items we at Antiquers appreciate. Take this Fabris
    figurine group I purchased recently for example. To put this together requires
    a range of very skilled porcelain manufacturing techniques, technicians, sculptors
    and artists. I thought I was going to have a serious fight on my hands to buy this
    but they all gave up at AU$60. Can't help thinking this is part of a general
    societal malaise towards antiques in general or maybe they are too busy playing
    with their apps.

Data - 36cm wide, 13cm deep, 13.5cm high , 1.9Kg

Cheers
    Stephen

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

KSW, all_fakes, komokwa and 12 others like this.
  2. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

I can't agree more!
    When compared to a WWII German metal helmet that goes at his best at 1500 euro (double decal, WH, original paint and liner....)

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Why is the team rearing while the outrider in in full gallop ???:wacky::wacky:

It's lovely...& the price sounds right !! I mean good , for you !;)

& the condition for what I suspect to be an older item.....wow ! :)

That said....over time what folks collect....changes.
    Home styles change....& so does what is thought to have investment value.
    People....in general...have less disposable income, and may indeed place less value on things, as opposed to 'doing' things that enrich their lives.

Here , I've seen furniture..fine, hard to make furniture, commanding pennies on the dollar of what they must have first sold for.....machines that have been cast aside, silver gold and jewels plucked for pennies at 2nd hand stores....ect...ect.

I don't think that to a man...or woman, anyone at that sale would argue that your item was not supremely well made.....just that it's not what they are looking for !

I see more auctions now , than ever before....and the ones I look at usually have high quality , diverse items..& while I can't say if the prices are up or down....the stuff is still selling.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Stephen, and worth a lot more.
    To let him catch up. The horseman is not an outrider but the lady's lover, and he just heard she was sent away to live with her aunt. He couldn't have that, could he, so he wants to convince her to elope with him. He is already leaning over to jump in.

KSW, bercrystal, Figtree3 and 7 others like this.
  5. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Obviously. Younger generations are utterly uneducated when it comes to anything from handicrafts to proper materials. All most of them have ever known of are cheap and disposable pieces.

That is why they think it's right that a lamp should cost $12 new, and get outraged when something of quality has been priced higher accordingly. Just think how that affects the pre-owned / antiques market when people get used to paying less for new. Back in the day people (apart from the richest) didn't buy new home decor all the time, nowadays it's mandatory due to nothing lasting long enough to become vintage.

In recent years there has been some small-scale appreciation for unique handmade organic objects, but I think that's another mere aesthetic. 95% of those buyers couldn't probably even tell what makes the item they bought well-made.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    KSW, pearlsnblume, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

It is a sad day when a beautiful piece of vintage Roseville Pottery sells for less than a piece of imported junk ceramics at Big Lots or Hobby Lobby. I don't think it is just people being cheap or tasteless but due to the ease of ordering something from Amazon and getting it on your doorstop the next day. Finding quality antiques take time and patience something not many people have today.

KSW, JayBee, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  7. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Does anyone have a book on Luigi Fabris listing this model? Wikipedia says "The complete list of his works is included in the book Luigi Fabris 1883/1952. Plasmare l’Armonia, Sculture, Dipinti, Porcellane, with texts by Mario Guderzo and Nadir Stringa" but I can't find it anywhere.
    Cheers
    Stephen

8. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

There are plenty of online stores and auctions. It's not very difficult to find good furnishings. Can't even say the prices are all too high, but people spend their money on new "smart" devices.

pearlsnblume and lloyd249 like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The team is rearing because they've reached the edge of the world... as that outrider is about to discover.

What happens to the prototypes for all these figurines? Someone has to supply a hand sculpted model before the thing can go into production.

komokwa, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  10. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I will go against the prevailing opinion.

Price has been dictated by fashion for centuries and the op's figural group is not flavour of the month.

Rather than berate others, just reflect how a lovely piece has been bought for peanuts, and enjoy.

If it turns out the to be a good investment as well, all the better :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

As an antiques collector, and budding dealer, I do try my best to learn and understand how things were made when they were new. What they looked like. How things were produced etc. For one thing - it makes repairing and restoring them, so much easier when you understand how they were made and what they looked like.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  12. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I once financed a porcelain mbo and experienced the trials and tribulations of porcelain figural production and market.

They made good quality figurines of the type that James Lewis hates with a vengeance!

Lots of work and skill went into producing objects that have limited current value.

Sadly, the company no longer survives.

As a dealer I have to look to value first, artistry second.

As a collector, the story behind an object is as important as the object itself

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  13. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree @Miscstuff ... ant that goes right down the line. Clothing, homes, decor, "art", and from my standpoint - textiles!

Part of it may truly be ignorance (too wrapped up in everyday and their phone); but another part may be money. Economies being what they are - it is cheaper to go to the discount/dollar places... it never occurs to them to shop resale...especially if they can't tell the difference between a "quality item" and a cheap one. Their loss is our gain??

and I agree with @rhiwfield re: the story behind an object is as important as the object itself. Some items have a REALLY cool history... if you care to "dig"! I do!

Cheerio,
    Leslie

14. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My daughter is nearing 40. She grew up with antiques and primitives. She appreciates them and collects glassware and pottery pieces when she travels overseas. However, she wants the piece to be useful /useable. Not quite a minimalist but anti -if-I-can't-use-it I don't want it. So I am selling many of the things I have that are purely knick knacks unless they are small and easy to display or very valuable.

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted