The Helping Hand, 1881, Emile Renouf

Discussion in 'Art' started by kdj, Jul 17, 2024.

1. kdj

kdj Member

I’m looking for information about The Helping Hand, 1881, Emile Renouf .

Not the print itself but the other dark looking piece.

In the pictures, there is one of an old colored print on board. It’s very faded and I keep it for comparison to the other piece.

The other dark one was bought at an antique store a long time go and I was told what it is but forgot.

I found this glossary of art but didn't find what I was looking for -
    https://tandempress.wisc.edu/printmaking/terms

What I have isn’t exactly a plate, it's HHDOWN4.JPG not metal, but something that was used to make more prints…? It is wrapped so pictures are not great.

I resized pictures to thumbnail since I seem to always have ones too large for the website.

If someone can say what the dark looking piece is called and used for, I thank you very much!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused as to what you have. Are both printed on card stock? And one is color (but faded) and the other is sepia?

Debora

4. kdj

kdj Member

Debora[/QUOTE]
    Neither is printed on card stock. The one in color is an old print on a light weight board. The "sepia" looking one is mounted on a stiff lightweight "board" and was a prototype / template for lack of another term, prior to the printing process, so not a sepia print.
    I have not looked for information about the printing process from that time.I've had this piece for 34 years. (I bought it from an antique shop in MN)
    I do not know what the proper term is for the "prototype", where it came from or a value, keeping in mind it is not a print but part of a process. Thanks for any info.

5. kdj

kdj Member

Neither is printed on card stock. The one in color is an old print on a light weight board. The "sepia" looking one is mounted on a stiff lightweight "board" and was a prototype / template for lack of another term, prior to the printing process, so not a sepia print.
    I have not looked for information about the printing process from that time.I've had this piece for 34 years. (I bought it from an antique shop in MN)
    I do not know what the proper term is for the "prototype", where it came from or a value, keeping in mind it is not a print but part of a process. Thanks for any info.

6. kdj

kdj Member

Sorry - 2 of same reply above. Tried to edit / cancel. I'm rusty at this :happy:

Debora and Potteryplease like this.
  7. kdj

kdj Member

If there are no other comments as to what I'm asking, should I delete my post? Not sure to leave it or not.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

How do you know it was "
    a prototype / template for lack of another term, prior to the printing process"?

Are you thinking of color separation? I can't say I'm seeing either as a color-filtered image.

9. kdj

kdj Member

I don't know about color separation. I know nothing about correct terms to use in regard to describing what I have. So, in an effort to describe the piece that is not a print, I used words that I hoped would help to distinguish the colorless one. When I bought it, the shop owner said what it is. Something to do with a process prior to actual printing. Sorry I am not more accurate.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why would u want to delete , anything ?
    This site isn't just about you......it's about sharing a free flow of information...and the conversation can continue well into the future.....with comments and answers coming weeks months even years from now !!!!!

11. kdj

kdj Member

That's why I asked. Thanks

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted