Featured The British Invasion- 19th Century Art (2/2)

Discussion in 'Art' started by techbiker, Jul 30, 2022.

1. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of your feedback on my first "British Invasion" art thread! The following are the rest of the 19th century paintings I purchased from southern England. Please don't hesitate to provide your thoughts. Here's a link to the first thread: The British Invasion- 19th Century Art (1/2) | Antiques Board (antiquers.com)

John Charles Swallow (1876)- A Mediterranean Coastal Town in watercolor. 30cm x 45cm view size. Mr. Swallow (b 1835) appears to have been the headmaster of the Bath School of Art in 1880 and an art examiner for Queen Victoria. I'm not an art expert however I think the detail in this piece is incredible. You have to use a magnifying glass to see all of the detail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Post office [afterw.] Kelly's directory of Hampshire, Dorsetshire, Wiltshire ... - Kelly's directories, ltd - Google Books

H Taylor (1886)- A Shipwreck Scene in oil. 50cm x 70cm canvas size. This painting is IMO wonderful in person (also not as yellow). Sadly, I have to touch up an unexpected ding to the canvas in the upper right corner and fix some broken frame plaster. I guess that's a risk associated with buying internationally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, a pair of 19th century Lakeland Landscapes- English School. Oil on board. Each about 47cm x 36cm board size. These seem quite well done but no signature that I can see. They appear to have been reframed in the first half of the 20th century in antique frames. Both could use a light clean and some frame work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you again for all of your input!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Has the shipwreck painting been relined? Doesn't look as old as purported from the back. Stetcher does look old enough. Otherwise, I think you did well. All charming paintings. Are you a reseller? I don't know what you paid but think these (and the others) marketable. Nothing to get rich on but good solid work.

Figtree3, techbiker and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm just curious HOW the heck you got a 2.4 MB image to load directly to this site!!!!!!!!!!?????????? I only ask as I clicked on it and it was Ginormous and the resolution was GREAT....!! I'm just referring to the ship in distress as it attracted me most, at first!!!

techbiker likes this.
  4. techbiker

The shipwreck scene was relined at one point. The lining is thick and feels springy, almost like leather. It's hard to describe but seems high quality? Unfortunately much of the impasto has been flattened (I suspect during relining). If the lining is leather or similar, I'm wondering if it needs any special care?

Thanks a bunch. Grand total was ~$2000 after fees, shipping, international call goofs, etc. I actually just wanted to buy the shipwreck scene but shipping was prohibitive. It was more economical to purchase a bunch of paintings. I'm a RE investor w/ extra wall space and enjoy 19th century art. Going to start selling some of the paintings I bought last year though to make way for others!

P.S. I was prepared to lose a good deal of this investment when I purchased these paintings. Although this appears to have worked out, the process took a bunch of effort and was definitely a bit of a gamble. Ex- the damage to the ship scene would have been a problem if I didn't have a set of restoration paints. Generally can't recommend bulk importing unless one has enough experience with the process.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  5. techbiker

Thanks a bunch! I just bypassed the 1MB limit by hosting the images on my Imgur account. https://imgur.com/ Then I used the "image" button next to the "smilies" button on the forum to insert links to the images on Imgur. I've had trouble with most image hosting sites but Imgur has been reliable for me for years.

The detail in the ship scene is even better in person. Makes me glad that we have newer steel ships today!

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I really like the watercolor and the shipwreck. I think the frame on the shipwreck is a little too ornate, it draws your focus away from the painting. I don’t know if it is period or not. I do like the frames on the landscapes, I will be curious to see if you attempt to restore them. You can get this stuff that allows you to make a flexible mold to reproduce the detail.

J Dagger, Figtree3 and techbiker like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Agreed on shipwreck frame. Very nice frame but it’s not a great match for the painting IMO. Oh well! Maybe a buyer will like the match.

techbiker likes this.
  8. techbiker

Thank you for the input! Do you think the frame is original or a later change? I would hesitate to replace the frame if the artist originally chose it. What style of frame would you recommend?

Lithographer, I do plan to tackle the frames on the lake scenes! Unfortunately still stuck cleaning an (IMO) fantastically spooky c 1900 "impressionist" landscape. I will let everyone know if I find anything behind the backers on the lake scenes.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is this yours?

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 7.54.27 PM.png

10. techbiker

Yup. Have you seen any of his other works at auction much?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A Google Images search will bring up a couple more.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted